Newbie question on powder measurement

I always set it for 0.1gr less than the target load and draw out single kernel from the tube until it reaches target (normally 2-4 kernels and only takes a few seconds). Has never been anything less than perfectly equal to the beam scale. If you let it stop on your desired load it will be close but normally a little over by 1-3 kernels.
Have you tried covering the threaded portion of the tube with a piece of a drinking straw? I did and even with the bulkiest extruded powders I wind up throwing maybe 1 in 10 drops back to be reweighed. I don't use a charge that's even 0.1 grain off, it's been that accurate.

Have you tried covering the threaded portion of the tube with a piece of a drinking straw? I did and even with the bulkiest extruded powders I wind up throwing maybe 1 in 10 drops back to be reweighed. I don't use a charge that's even 0.1 grain off, it's been that accurate.

That trick works for me as well rifleman. Its amazing what a difference that makes.

Yep. I put that straw in the day I set it up. You are right that it will normally measure within 0.1gr and be fine if you have found a nice node for that particular load. If I need it to be more precise (for instance when ladder testing) I set it light and add single kernels until it displays the desired weight. Most powder require 4-6 kernels for each 0.1gr. When the chargemaster stops on the desired weight I find it generally take 2-4 kernels to the next 0.1gr on the scale display so it varies a few kernels between loads even when displaying the correct weight. Close enough most of the time but if you have a little OCD, as I sometimes do, and are compelled to get as close as possible...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.