new at reloading

Interesting...thanks Backwoods! I do plan to shoot VLDs once I get some lighter loads down.

I hate to admit it, but I may be getting a very good deal on a Browning with BOSS, and that adds yet another variable...the BOSS setting. (Probably a travesty on this reloading forum!) The good thing about that if it works is that I am seperated from my reloading bench for the next 2 months due to a life/work situation so will have to start out with factory ammo unless I want to wait...yea right. Not! A lot of guys would be happy to shoot factory loads and not have to reload (due to cost), but I'm jonesin' to churn out some of my favorites. I find that reloading gives me another level of pride and ownership to my shooting experience.

I wonder if a BOSS system can overcome the finicky nature of the VLDs...

Not familiar with the BOSS system. Can you give me a short explanation?

The BOSS system is a muzzel mounted tuning device invented by Browning that is used to nulify barrel harmonics, or at least adjust the harmonic nodes to match a particular ammo/load to increase accuracy. It is a break or cylinder on the muzzel that screws toward the end or toward the receiver, with visual graduations so the shooter can make finite adjustments.

The concept is to tune the barrel to the ammo, which is the inverse of what we do when we develop a hand load for accuracy. In the latter case, we adjust bullet selection, seating, powder, and primer all to find the "sweet spot" in barrel hamonics so that primary and secondary harmonics are neutralized to some extent, and to get the barrel to always be in the same vibrational mode as the bullet leaves the muzzel. Hence a repeatable impact point, and what we call "accuracy".

The supposed advantage of having the BOSS is that you can tune the gun to shoot (consistent well made) factory loads like well developed hand loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.