Need advice on Vortex spotting scopes

Idgunner

I have a dilema when considering a pair of Vortex spotting scopes. I found great deals on both the Diamondback and the Viper scopes. The Diamondback is a 20-60X80 and the Viper is a 15-45X60. The Viper comes with a $200 Vortex tripod for free and with my discount is VERY reasonable.

Obviously the Diamondback has more magnification and a much larger objective to gather more light but the Viper has the HD glass and better optical quality and clarity. So, my quandry is which to choose.

Has anyone looked through both scopes side by side for a comparison? Would the average guy be able to tell much difference?

I'm new to the spotting scope world and can really use some advice. I also have a Vortex Viper Gen 2 on one of my varmint rifles and a Vortex Fury binocular and love both. I'm also sold on their warranty so I will keep my search to Vortex optics for a spotting scope.

Thanks in advance.

Always go with the better glass if you can IMO. Just because it will do 60x doesn't mean you will see anything any better then the better glass on 45x.

If those were my choices I would choose the Viper every time.

Yeah, if it was between the viper and the razor I'd say you'd really need to be comfortable financially but between the diamond back and viper, go with the viper. You can actually use all magnification settings with it.

I appreciate those replies and have come to the same conclusion. Online reviews say that the Diamondback is fuzzy at 60X so that is a waste. The Viper, even with lower magnification is the better scope. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.