Necking up 6.5 SAUM to 7 SAUM

JBMK262

Thinking of adding a 7 SAUM rifle and with brass being scarce at the moment I wondered if necking up 6.5 SAUM to 7 SAUM is viable?

I have never necked up or down any cartridge and wanted to know a few things...
  1. It seems possible to do this, am I correct?
  2. From what I understand the necks will get thinner...is there a point where they would get too thin in this operation?
  3. Current necks measure .015" and .0145" on average amongst certain lots of brass...will these be sufficient to neck up?
  4. Are there trade offs from using virgin 7 SAUM brass that I should take into consideration?
What I have gathered so far is that to do this all I would need is a 7 SAUM sizing die. I do have a mandrel die and if the better process is getting a mandrel to neck up prior to using the sizing die I could do that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

It's possible the 6.5saum brass is merely 7saum necked down anyway, so then necking back up should not throw you into chamber issue.
You should neck up with mandrels in stages sufficient to prevent collapsing the shoulders from excess force.
Then use your 7mm die as needed/if needed to load up & fire form to what you'll have.

Thinking of adding a 7 SAUM rifle and with brass being scarce at the moment I wondered if necking up 6.5 SAUM to 7 SAUM is viable?

I have never necked up or down any cartridge and wanted to know a few things...
  1. It seems possible to do this, am I correct?
  2. From what I understand the necks will get thinner...is there a point where they would get too thin in this operation?
  3. Current necks measure .015" and .0145" on average amongst certain lots of brass...will these be sufficient to neck up?
  4. Are there trade offs from using virgin 7 SAUM brass that I should take into consideration?
What I have gathered so far is that to do this all I would need is a 7 SAUM sizing die. I do have a mandrel die and if the better process is getting a mandrel to neck up prior to using the sizing die I could do that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jake
So did u neck the 6.5 to 7? I'm looking to do the same