NE Wyoming

Skipetex

New to the site. Liking what I see. I have a question about deer in region c unit 18 between Gillette and Moorcroft. Three of us are headed up there in october as long as we get drawn. We are hunting mulies on private land. Does anyone have info on deer numbers or what to expect in size and quality. Tha ks in advance.

Winter isn't over yet. A few yrs ago we got 3 spring blizzards about 1 week apart. Hammered the antelope N of Gillette. As much as 70% losses. Deer were not quite as hard hit. Decent winter this year. Deer numbers are OK. Not what they were 20 yrs ago. Fair numbers of decent bucks in the 24-26 inch with 4X4's are available if you hunt hard. Also the ranch makes a lot of difference. How big is the ranch? How hard was it hunted last year? If they shot all of the 3 points last year then there won't be many 4's this year. I'd be asking your outfitter how big is the property and how many deer were killed there last year.
Some companies are looking for quality deer. They have several ranches and hunt them sparingly. Others crop off all of the mature animals each year. Find out before you book. How wet of a year we have will also dictate quality of feed available. Top antler growth is only achieved when we have a decent year for moisture..... Unless your ranch has a good hay field. Good luck.
Bruce

Our place we are hunting is 3500 acres halfway between gillette and moorcroft. A friend of mine owns it so the hunting pressure is not terrible. As far as hay fields I believe there are 3 and it also has a large creek running through it. We were there last year hunting goats and all tagged out. Didn't see many mulies but we really weren't looking for them.

I have hunted some ranches in that area in the past. I expect that you should do fine. I wouldn't expect a B@C buck but a nice mature deer should be available to you. Your friend that owns the place should have a good idea of exactly what is going on. Good luck.
Bruce

Our tags if we get drawn say any whitetail and buck mule deer. Maybe we will see a few whitetail. I have one mulie from wyoming on the wall now. A whitetail to fo with him would be a nice bonus. Either is fine with me though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.