Luger pistol value question

6x6 elk

I was at a gun auction last weekend, and about 40 Luger pistols went up for auction individually. They range anywhere from $800-$4000. I do realize that the value has to do with when the pistol was made, the condition it was in ,the barrel length, and if it was issued to artillery, or standard issue, or navy, and it also has to do with the proof marks and stamps on the gun, and if the serial numbers on the barrel match the serial numbers on the receiver . One thing that I have found in my research is it also increases the value if the magazine serial numbers matches the numbers on the pistol. I've always wanted one, but I don't know enough of the details to know if I'm getting a good deal or spending way too much. Any recommendations from you guys were familiar with the Lugers would be great in case I ever run into some more that are for sale.

There is such a huge range in price ! Do you want one to shoot or an investment piece?
Everything you said is true and then some! Guys study them for years!
I would watch trends online to sort get a feel for models and pricing?
But they are really cool!

Looking for something that I could occasionally shoot, and would be a bit of an investment. Might run 50-100 rounds a year, maybe less. From what I've read, you need to run high velocity ammo or the pistol won't cycle the next round. Low velocity target loads will jam.

I would never shoot an investment grade Luger, SN on all parts match. If a part breaks you got only a shooter! Buy a mismatched reblued or holster worn one. Commercial Frankenstein shooters go from 900 to 1100. I would strongly advise not getting into collector grade unless you really know your Lugers. keyton,s "Lugers at Radom" is a good beginners book. There are several good Luger websites. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.