Live the example

Mmac52280

Was going to post this later, but changed my mind. When my oldest was 8 years old, I discovered that schooling was extremely lacking in a particular math skill. She couldn't count change. I know that sounds weird, but her school just glossed over it. Hell no! So I decided a way to encourage her. I would use cash frequently, hand her the coins, and if she got it right, she could keep it. And it was hard taking 54 cents away from her when she was wrong. After missing 3 tines, she got angry, and NEVER missed again. I ended up getting her a piggy bank, then her own savings account. Wat back then, you could buy EE savings bonds. A $50 bond cost just $25 and matured in 7 years. I still remember explaining it to her. "So I give them $25 now, and then they give me $50 later? Sold!"
When she started college, she had her first two years paid for with those bonds.
Anyway, one day we had stopped for food, and she asked if she could also count the paper money too. I agreed, but the paper stayed with Dad. Now this was so long ago, the food for 2 was less than $8, and I gave the lad a $20. When he handed me the change, I never looked at it, I just handed it to her.
"I have $22 dollars"
Me "That's wrong honey, count it again"
"I still get $22"
I look over and see she has 2 ones, 2 fives, and 1 ten. So it's NOT 2 tens stuck together. I knocked on the drive through window, and when he opened it, I informed him "My 8 year old noticed you gave us $10 too much change" Not sure what he was thinking, he did put the money in the drawer, and don't know how long he remained employed there. I was so proud of my little girl. The next day I delivered her to her grandparents house, and she immediately shared the events with them. Both listened as she told her story, but then her grandmother started laughing.

"You need to tell your Daddy that when someone gives you too much change, you keep that" My little girl turned to face her and said,

"My Daddy's too honest to do that!" You could have heard a pin drop. Live the example.

Thanks for posting. Reminds me of my dad. Live (and lead) by example. Sadly, in society today we're perfectly happy to support "leaders" who display none of the character or integrity that we claim to hold so dear. In my opinion, that hypocrisy undermines everything....

At my local bank (drive-up) the teller gave me extra money and when I informed her of it she was ? She was appreciative of my honesty. Later on I got a roll of quarters from the same bank that had 1 nickel in the roll and they didn't want too honor their mistake (?) or did they make a honest mistake! For their 20 cents worth of money grabbing should I have kept the extra 20 bucks the teller gave me? Well at least I can live honestly!!!!!

At my local bank (drive-up) the teller gave me extra money and when I informed her of it she was ? She was appreciative of my honesty. Later on I got a roll of quarters from the same bank that had 1 nickel in the roll and they didn't want too honor their mistake (?) or did they make a honest mistake! For their 20 cents worth of money grabbing should I have kept the extra 20 bucks the teller gave me? Well at least I can live honestly!!!!!
Banks claim they never make mistakes, don't they? I bank at a local outfit, not too many branches, However, I know all the tellers, and knowing what I do, they regularly ask if I have pictures of whatever I have been crafting. Once while in a hurry, I was in the lobby but quickly returned to my truck. When I came back the teller asked what I had forgotten. I explained I forgot to secure my handgun. She said that no one there would mind if I carried in the bank....

"Don't you train new tellers here?" I asked. "So what's going to stop the newbie from dancing on the silent alarm?"

She agreed with me, but found the notion to be hilarious.....

I had a similar experience one morning at our local sheetz. But I didn't realize it till later that day . So the next morning I caught that woman at the register again and gave her the money back , the manager heard the conversation and came over . They ended up firing her because of it . I felt absolutely horrible . I had a fit at them over it . It was an honest mistake and my honesty cost her a job . I called their corporate office and was basically told it wasn't my problem

Thanks for posting. Reminds me of my dad. Live (and lead) by example. Sadly, in society today we're perfectly happy to support "leaders" who display none of the character or integrity that we claim to hold so dear. In my opinion, that hypocrisy undermines everything....
Welcome. I agree with you, so I choose to concern myself with family and friends. I have been looking for better gun insurance, and I have a daughter who is a paralegal, so she can read an insurance policy. Currently, I have not found ANY coverage worth a nickel. The only reason they want you to state the value is to set the premium, if you ever have a claim you will find the value was NOT agreed upon. They also mandate you find a replacement, buy it, and they may cover partial costs. If you choose not to replace it, then the cash value is decreased by depreciation. Half of mine are collectibles, they never go down in value. I also own a 1970 Mustang Mach 1, all original, still being restored. Imagine being told, "Well, it's an old car, and after subtracting 50 years of depreciation, maybe worth a couple hundred" Everyone should read the fine print, but it took insurance a week to produce it.