Leica 1600b - Question on ballistic curve

Mike027

Im looking strongly at purchasing a Leica 1600b but I had a question on choosing the proper ballistic curve out of the 12 that are available.

Lets say I did my handload testing work at an elevation of 600ft but I will be hunting at 7500ft. Should I use my drop figures for my load work at 600ft elevation or should I use a ballistic calculator factoring in the 7,500ft elevation I will be hunting at?

I guess what Im trying to determine is what does the device use as a starting point to calculate the proper holdover, clicks, etc, for the elevation you are currently hunting.

I looked at the instruction manual on the Leica website but it was not clear to me how they chose the ballistic curves.

Thanks for any info you may have on that. Mike

Im looking strongly at purchasing a Leica 1600b but I had a question on choosing the proper ballistic curve out of the 12 that are available.

Lets say I did my handload testing work at an elevation of 600ft but I will be hunting at 7500ft. Should I use my drop figures for my load work at 600ft elevation or should I use a ballistic calculator factoring in the 7,500ft elevation I will be hunting at?

I guess what Im trying to determine is what does the device use as a starting point to calculate the proper holdover, clicks, etc, for the elevation you are currently hunting.

I looked at the instruction manual on the Leica website but it was not clear to me how they chose the ballistic curves.

Thanks for any info you may have on that. Mike

I have a 1600b I have figured on this very problem, If you have accurate velocity for your load then it is as simple as feeding your numbers in to a computer and adjust the numbers for the hunting conditions as close as you can then use the curve that matches those conditions

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.