• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED ISO of a Savage short action

coachA

Planning to make a long range build with a Savage short action. If anyone has one or knows where to get one, I would appreciate it. Doesn't matter what size the bolt face is. I can change it out if I need to.

It maybe cheaper to buy a rifle used or a cheap one from Walmart or somewhere.Sell the parts you don't need.Watch the bolt head swap the replacement pins are almost impossible to find the last time I looked.

I have found a bunch of used savages at Cabelas. I don't know where you live but get online and search the gun library for savages. Or call your nearest store. I was in mine today and I found a long action to make a 280 AI build for $399 with side bolt release.

The problem is that the majority if new savages are bottom bolt release accustocked and have a smooth barrel nut. They've made it tougher for the switch barrel.

Really? I have never had a problem with the smooth nut. I replace them with the splined nut if I have to. The method I use to change barrels has not been impacted by the bottom bolt release. How has it affected the way you swap barrels?

Really? I have never had a problem with the smooth nut. I replace them with the splined nut if I have to. The method I use to change barrels has not been impacted by the bottom bolt release. How has it affected the way you swap barrels?

He said long range so I assumed stock work too which is also complicated by the changes.