Hello from the Hat

gunner72

Gunner here, just checkin in. Hope I can add to this awesome forum! I'm not really into the long range thing but I'm crazy about reloading and trying diffrent calibers. "you learn something new everyday" i can only hope.:D

Medicine Hat Alberta(if ya don't know where Alberta is I don't see the piont in tellin)hahahahahahahha

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome buddy...Sask...:D good one. I'm lookin for what ever info I can get for a new cal I just started workin on. 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I've been serching the old threads and there's lots of good info here. Pretty cool cal, right now i'm loading 100gr nos BTBT's and getting real nice groops at 3100+fps and useing both imr4831 and 4350 with great consistancy. Great stuff on this forum.

Hello Gunner yes 257 is a cool cal. Iam shooting a Ruger 25-06 target rifle with a Burris 3x9 ballistc Plx. Whats your rifle? Been to the Hat years ago worked on a pipe line good terrain for hunting. What all do you hunt? Have a great day.gun)

I try to get out and hunt everything I can. Mulie, White tail, might get an antelope tag this year, elk in the mountains, coyotes, birds once in a while, upland and migratory... I use muzzleloader, rifle, and bow as I too work pipeline and time to go can be hard to come by in the fall so I have to have options for a longer season. I mostly hunt in 400 and 302(southern alberta rockys) and a couple hours north of the Hat for deer.
We go up to northern sask every Nov for white tails and are never disapionted. I realy look forward to this one(love Sask man). There are some real monsters up there and we get glimpses every year. All the bucks we got last year were over 140 and thats typical for where we go. The biggest last year was almost 160. For these guys I mosty use my 243 m77 or a 700 bdl 270 win.
The mule deer hunting where we go is good but since the fish cops shot all the deer there, it's nothing like it was say 5 years ago. We never used to consider shooting unless it was over 190 (sounds cocky I know but true). Last year never saw anything even close. The white tails are good there too but this long winter we had will have had quite an impact I'm sure. Got my biggest white tail buck yet last year with the old muzzleloader, 177 non typ and 161 clean typ. Looks like I could take Shockey down a spot in sci with that one!lol. It would be #5 all time if my records are up to date. I hunt with bow then muzzleloader as there is a 2 week primitive weapons season between archery and rifle season in my zones. In november they take it with the 270win.
I hunt the forestry and some private land out by pincher for elk. I'll be there this year with my bow on my buddys ranch. There is no more excitment in hunting than listening to them bugle at 20 yards when your at full draw! For me anyway. I also have 5 years priority for turkey and should get a tag next spring. That will be a first for me. This year we will start planning a Mule deer hunt in he mountains. It takes a few years to get drawn but I've never shot one up there and I've seen some shooters for sure! Smaller bodies and wicked dark horns and capes would make for an awesome mount.
Thats about it though. I've hunted all over alberta and a few places in Sask I guess. Never ventured any farther. Not yet anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.