Greater magnification or greater objective?

ryanc111

I'm looking for a scope for my RRA Predator Pursuit .223 that I'll be using for Coyotes, PD & target shooting. Will be some long range shooting but until I get comfortable with it I'm not exactly sure how far out - maybe 3-400 yds?

I've narrowed it down to the Leupold VX-R but keep going back and forth between models.

Do I get greater magnification range with the 4-12x40?

Or do I get a bigger objective for lower light with the 3-9x50?

I feel like I have a good grasp of the trade offs between the two different magnification options but not really as confident in the trade-offs of the different objectives. Will that extra 10mm make a significant difference in low light?

The larger objective should give you about 35% more light gathering potential. However, edge to edge focus, length of tube and other factors may make it difficult for you to clearly see any real difference.
I'd gp with with the 4-12x40?

^^^^ +3 I have a leupold 4-12x40 on my coyote rifle and it's been perfect. I've hunted from dawn to dusk and never felt that I needed a bigger objective.

ryanc111;1175480 Do I get greater magnification range with the 4-12x40? Or do I get a bigger objective for lower light with the 3-9x50? Will that extra 10mm make a significant difference in low light?[/QUOTE said:
I have conducted lots of side by side tests. If both are the same quality the 10mm is better because it is 56% larger. Besides that the 12X will allow you to go later as the light dims. This is not speculation. It has been proven many, many times.

I have two of the luopold Mark AR scopes in 6x18x40 mil dot and love them. I find the added power is of more importance to me than any added brightness the 50mm bells are really almost to big

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.