Forster benchrest sizer, What !!?!??

He lives in Johannesburg, South Africa, how do you say lower the expander in Afrikaans.

We don't have a word for that in Afrikaans.

This is my first Forster sizing die I ever bought. First thing I did was remove the decapping assembly from the die, and first thing I noticed was that if the ball is too high it will bind the case mouth in the die. I then reached for the instructions, and put the ball as low as it could go.

Send the die plus three fired cases to Forster and they will hone the die to the correct specifications for your chamber for a small sum.

My experience is Forster's customer service is the worst in the industry. Blame the customer seems to be their first response always.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

For those interested in the fate of the die, know that it has not gone to it's Maker, but it does now lie in it's final resting place.

30-06FLS-U-3.jpg

Do you have any body in South Afrika that could help you with this die. Like a gun smith or tool maker or machinist.

Do you have any body in South Afrika that could help you with this die. Like a gun smith or tool maker or machinist.

Sure, I personally know a few people with the machinery, but it's too much bother.

A die body is hardened steel, very tough to work with, and not many machinists are prepared to work with it. I could also eventually get it working myself, by simply putting the die in my lathe, and running 1200 grit through the neck sizing part. What does that do the to the "benchrest precision" of the die ?

That's not what I sign up for when I buy sizing dies.

A Redding body die and Lee collet neck sizer is the time it takes to drive to the store and back. It's a tried and tested combination for me.

I realize that shipping is not cost effective, but I would still send them (Forster) the pictures and a description of what is taking place. It would give them a chance to make it right and give you some inkling as to what their customer service is like. JMO

One more question. Since you are waiting for your new rifle, where did the Once Fired Brass come from? I might try trimming the brass before I size, Just in case the other rifle caused the brass to stretch too much. Just another thought. I got some once fired 308 military that was fired through a M60 and was longer than a normal once fired case from my 06.

One more question. Since you are waiting for your new rifle, where did the Once Fired Brass come from?

From different sources, mostly from a friend who has a 30-06 and only uses factory ammo.

I might try trimming the brass before I size, Just in case the other rifle caused the brass to stretch too much.

I prefer to trim after sizing. The idea was to size everything down to factory spec, then trim, which is what I do with my other brass.

The problem with this die is it's damaging the case mouths, there are fine shavings around the case mouth on the couple of brass I tried to size, without the case fully in the die. Even if I trim first, that won't change.

From different sources, mostly from a friend who has a 30-06 and only uses factory ammo.

I prefer to trim after sizing. The idea was to size everything down to factory spec, then trim, which is what I do with my other brass.

The problem with this die is it's damaging the case mouths, there are fine shavings around the case mouth on the couple of brass I tried to size, without the case fully in the die. Even if I trim first, that won't change.
Ok. Just another thought.

Good luck. I had a friend go to South Africa back in the early '80's for the IPSC World Shoot and it snowed 1-2" then.
he had a great time and I got to see some tremendous pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.