Euro mounts

Here's a pic of the one I did with the fake skull. I haven't even brought it in the house from the pole barn. It's no where near as nice of a deer as Blackdirt's.
Gary
E6502BB9-5669-4E59-9615-C740E45489C1.jpeg

I don't know what color it is. I mixed it to stain my reloading bench when I built it and stored it in a quart mason jar. The can has long since been thrown away. I tested it on a small spot on the back of the antlers and liked the way it looked, so I rolled with it. To me, the antlers are too shiny. I may take some fine steel wool and see about knocking the shine off of them just a bit.
Scrubbing them a little would probably replicate the look of real antlers that have been in some fights or rubbed on tree trunks.
The real ones seem to be lighter on the high spots of the burrs.

I do a lot of "antler restoration". I've figured out a process to even bring chalking sheds or antlers back to life. It takes an incredible amount of time to do right. I often use up to 4 or 5 different color combos. As mentioned earlier Minwax works fairly well. There are 3 different colors of Minwax that work on whitetail, mule deer, and elk. The trick is to put on super light coats rather than one thick coat! I also use quite a few different colored pencils. I use steel wool between coats to get the affect I want. It may sound weird but I use a lot of the same antiquing and painting techniques used in fish replica taxidermy. It's also possible to restore broken points or tips of antler/horns....another process. It's taken a lot of trial and error!

Good work. I really have come to like euro mounts much more than shoulder mounts. They take up less room and can be displayed in different ways. I dont think Ill ever get a shoulder mount again unless its a record setting buck/bull

I'm too lazy to boil so I macerate all of mine, the kid's and a few friend's animals. Around 12-15 per year. Put em in a tank of 90 degree water and 8-12 days later wash them off with garden hose. Then degrease in same pot with heated water and dawn soap. Then the peroxide. Works well. Quite stinky but they are out in the barn. Would not do this method in a garage.

Skull Hooker makes some great products for displaying euros! I have a couple trees plus a table top and wall display units.