Dog Breeder Recommendation for WI,MN,or MI

scsbronco

Im looking for a dog with a good temperment to be a house pet. Dogs I have had in the past inclued American Bulldog, Pudelpointer, and a Lab. All of the dogs were adopted and had major health problems. They were all great dogs despite the healthproblems.

So.......

Im looking for two types of dogs

Type I
House pet/defensive dog.
German Shepard
Doberman
American Bulldog

Type II
Pheasant Hunter/house pet
Pudelpoint
German Shorthair
German Wirehair
Weimaraner

I live near Oshkosh Wi. All of my family lives in se Mi. My wifes sister lives in Mn. So we have a broad area. The breeds I list are what my wife and I narrowed down to. If anyone could recommend a breeder of any of these breeds I'd appreciate it.

I may have the answer to your type II dog,my shorthair is having pups around valentines day,she is truly a top flight gundog,works in close and doesnt miss much,very friendly and loves kids,retrieves to hand,loves water and will go off the dock like a lab her first retrieve as an adult was a greater canadian out of the river.She tends to throw smaller pups and the pups when grown will be on the smaller end of shorthair requirments as per AKC.

Wis is chock full of excellent ..excellent dog breeders. I am a shorthair guy myself.
One breeder that i have a personal interest is sharp shooter kennels out of New Richmond ..just above eaue claire.
I do not have any of there progeny but someday wish too, I am still rescueing dogs from the humane society.
The bloodlines are excellent and they hunt test and do very well.
I met the Clyde Vetter once during one of our NAVHDA event some years ago.
Super people, excellent dog folks

Shorthairs are/can be excellent house dogs, they definetly are people dogs.
They have to be part of the family to realize there full potential.
In my opinion the Vetters operation is the creme of the crop !!

Have you looked into pointing labs as an option? Not many guys know about them but they are IMO truly the ultimate all round dog. All the gentleness, affection and personality of a traditional lab which works so well around the family. They retrieve and fetch just the same as you are used to with a lab as well. The added kick is that they also point birds just like any pointing breed. It is really amazing to watch.

They are pure bred Labradors as far as the AKC is concerned. The difference is that breeders have over the years selected labs for breeding that have the natural tendency to point along with all the other traditional traits of a good lab. Over time this has developed into a unique niche of dog.

APLA is the association for American Pointing Labs. American Pointing Lab Association > Home

My last 2 dogs came from this kennel and they are fantastic dogs in all aspects.
Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.