Defiance Deviant tenon

Gregg C

Happy Independence Day, folks!
So, once again, my hard headedness creates confusion in my life! It was suggested to me that a 34" barrel could cause stress on the tenon of the action. So I allowed myself to be talked into a 30", instead. 500rds later, I decided to get it replaced, and ordered a 34" from Lilja. For a weight saving measure, I got it diamond fluted, 6 x 12twist. That's 12 actual flutes. Well, it's still really heavy. Near as I can figure with math, that only removed about 1.8 lbs. The thing weighs 9 to 10 lbs, no chamber yet. Now, I'm questioning the wisdom of bulling ahead on this.
The K&P is 1.250 dia., with 8, 5/16 straight flutes, that are about 26" long, 30" barrel length. Replacement Lilja is 1.35 dia., with 12, 1/4" flutes about 27" long, 34" barrel length. The receiver is 1.35 across the flat sides.
Question to this comunity; is this new barrel overly heavy for the action ?
What say you all?

If dudes are hanging 34" barrels off aluminum Kelbly Panda's... I'd be willing to bet your Defiance will be fine.

Last edited:
cut cut cut cut chopping GIF by emibob

Well Happy 4th to you.
We are by far not experts on anything. We too have long heavy barrels 1.25" @ 33", 1.35", 1.45".
There have been studies done on different caliber for different length barrels. I think that the 6mm preforms best with a 28" -30" barrel.
If you are concerned about the weight on the Tenon & Action from a heavy LONG barrel you can bed the action along with the first 6-8" of the barrel for extra support.
We have a Krieger 338 to finish at 32". It currently has 1.45" breach end and tapering with a MTU contour to 1" at the muzzle. I am going to turn down to 1.35" for the first 12" and finish with the MTU contour. I am also going to bed the Action and the first 12" of the barrel. Building a 338LMAI with a BAT Single Shot, Dual Port, McMillan XIT Stock. Building for ELR.
Thanks
Len & Jill