Deer call for aoudad

mnoland30

I had an interesting experience this week. I was helping a new hunter find a ram. After sunset, I spotted a nice ram at 233 yards. My buddy with the tag was about 30 yards away, and looking the other way. The ram was looking right at me. My buddy didn't have his radio with him or his shooting sticks (a new hunter). I whistled to get his attention. The ram was standing still and stomping his front feet. I thought he was getting nervous and used my deer call (made by ELK). The ram immediately started walking towards us. My buddy claimed he could hit out to 500 yards, but took five shots to finish the ram. I don't think he'll forget his shooting sticks again. I've used the deer call with great success on deer, and even with elk to calm them. I'd never tried it on aoudad before. I'll be trying it again in the future.

Attachments

• tempImageLJCA3k.png
    tempImageLJCA3k.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 93
I live in deer country. I have had Doe stomp their feet at me many many times. They stomp, bob their heads for a bit, then take off. Bucks will just run immediately.
The deer call may have made your Ram feel safe & secure. They live with mule deer, and hit the same feeders.

Recent Posts