Core-lokt

So was mine - Winchester 94 30/30 170 flat nose 4 pt in Adirondacks in 1967. DRT. First field dressing more like Freddie Kreuger work. Remember like yesterday since I left knife on rock so I wouldn't lose it. Snowed 12" that night. Wonder if still there on rock 54 years later? Red plaid hand me down Woolrich jacket, flannel lined jeans and uninsulated Timberline boots. Froze my feet off since they were ok with regular socks. Yes Sasquatch back then too.

So how many killed their first with CL's?
Too familiar…
A) this is why I don't buy expensive knives. Well that and a lack of knife-funds in the budget but this is what I tell myself.
B). I too have froze my feet on account of sub-bar boots and socks. I've come to believe footwear is the single most important clothing consideration on any serious hunt. No question.

And my field dressing still looks Freddy Kruegerish I'm afraid

So was mine - Winchester 94 30/30 170 flat nose 4 pt in Adirondacks in 1967. DRT. First field dressing more like Freddie Kreuger work. Remember like yesterday since I left knife on rock so I wouldn't lose it. Snowed 12" that night. Wonder if still there on rock 54 years later? Red plaid hand me down Woolrich jacket, flannel lined jeans and uninsulated Timberline boots. Froze my feet off since they were ok with regular socks. Yes Sasquatch back then too.

So how many killed their first with CL's?
Most of the deer I have killed have been with Remington CL's, the past few years I've gotten into the newer better bullets, supposedly, like most people but whenever I make a new rifle, mine are for hunting, I find a load they like with the CL and then move onto the newer bullets in case I have a hunt that stretches the range out somewhat.

A few years ago Remington started offfering a Bonded Core Lokt, called Ultra Bonded from their Premier Line.
I loaded some 30 cal 180 Core-Lokt Ultra recently in 30-06 and figured they wouldn't be as accurate as newer bullets but I was wrong.
I bought them after my 1st back surgery in 1984,still have an unopened box besides the box I opened to reload those 30-06.
Its funny that some of the old stuff is as good as the new stuff isn't that right Skipglo?Talking about guns!

These Core-Lokt Ultras are a flat base bullet,what was I thinking?You have to have boat tail bullets,right?
The good old Hornady Inter-Lock was a flat base bullet and I have killed more deer than I can count as many here has also.
Old stuff and new stuff again Skipglo

These Core-Lokt Ultras are a flat base bullet,what was I thinking?You have to have boat tail bullets,right?
The good old Hornady Inter-Lock was a flat base bullet and I have killed more deer than I can count as many here has also.
Old stuff and new stuff again Skipglo

For years we have used the corelokts for practice on silhouette shooting. Why? Well they are cheap and they have grouped sub half MOA in every rifle I've tried them.

As for the Interlocks they group the same way and they kill fast. They are a forgiving bullet when shot placement isn't ideal. My godson killed his first coues with the 139gr in my 7mm-08 and impact was a bit forward on the shoulder, and even though the lung impact was too far forward the damage was still severe. The deer dropped two seconds after impact.

Sometimes cheap works great.

For years we have used the corelokts for practice on silhouette shooting. Why? Well they are cheap and they have grouped sub half MOA in every rifle I've tried them.

As for the Interlocks they group the same way and they kill fast. They are a forgiving bullet when shot placement isn't ideal. My godson killed his first coues with the 139gr in my 7mm-08 and impact was a bit forward on the shoulder, and even though the lung impact was too far forward the damage was still severe. The deer dropped two seconds after impact.

Sometimes cheap works great.
I've mentioned this before somewhere on this site; the most accurate "cheap" projectile I've loaded for bush hunting (inside 150M) if the 160 round nose interlock. Out of my 20" Sako finnlight barrel is sub 1/2MOA (non calculating)

Just waiting on this guy to make a daylight appearance. He just might meet Mr. Interlock.

Attachments

• D11A1F02-DE33-4273-95C3-CC3A3908C399.jpeg
    D11A1F02-DE33-4273-95C3-CC3A3908C399.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • C787457B-C42E-4BE7-BF45-1A8EF2D42684.png
    C787457B-C42E-4BE7-BF45-1A8EF2D42684.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 94DA1934-3D1A-4C1C-8511-5861FB7545D2.png
    94DA1934-3D1A-4C1C-8511-5861FB7545D2.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 14
I've mentioned this before somewhere on this site; the most accurate "cheap" projectile I've loaded for bush hunting (inside 150M) if the 160 round nose interlock. Out of my 20" Sako finnlight barrel is sub 1/2MOA (non calculating)

Just waiting on this guy to make a daylight appearance. He just might meet Mr. Interlock.

I am sure it will be a great introduction. The Interlocks do know how to introduce themselves. 😁

I've posted this other threads so sorry if it's the same people hearing my 2 cents haha.

I've found a good practice when getting into reloading or trying out a new rifle is to create a "reference load", the control against which to test future loads.

The reference load is a flat based soft point of conventional for caliber weight, my preference is the interlock, seated to standard coal, with a grain under book max of one of the old school imr single base powders (4895, 4064, 4350, 4831, 7828 (now only in ssc form) ). I know you're supposed to start a full 10 percent under max but I've never had issue with this, I almost always just happen to have Winchester brass and it's roomy so that may be an important thing to take note of. I've never found much difference from using different primers with this loading, and I only sort cases by headstamp, not by weight or anything like that.

I realize this is an incredibly boring load…it's probably more or less what most budget soft point factory ammo runs. And it usually, not always but usually, shoots to within 80 percent at least of what a given rifle is capable of accuracy wise, probably even better, at least for 100 yard groups which is a pretty standard reference point.

That's not to say one can't do better, you can work up probably much more powerful loads especially with more modern powders, and of course at long range this bullet design is outclassed by more modern designs, you can tune a load real specific and play with seating depth etc…

BUT what I would say pretty confidently is that if a given rifle shoots TERRIBLY with this reference load idea, I'm not optimistic it's going to shoot all that well with any load.

I'd shoot one with a Core lokt if I didn't reload...as a matter of fact I'd shoot two or Three!
It is quite a shame that they have discontinued this brand for reloading. Luckily I still have some that I have not loaded. Don't really shoot it much other than during hunting season, to me it was a great design and got used to it.

Recent Posts