COAL tool

Firearrow

I use the cheep method of taking a case, using a dremel to put three relief cuts in the mouth of the case, and then kinda loosely seating the bullet . Then us a candle to soot up the bullet. I keep seating the bullet deeper until there are no marks from the lands. So the question is, is the Hornady OAL gague better? I know it is not a big investment, but just wanted to ask.

The Hornady tool along with a microseater on your seating die make it easy work with bullet seating depth.

Brent

I have the Hornady tool, but don't use it since I found the Davidson nose pieces and base which attach to the caliper at Sinclair. I feel the Davidson is faster and much more accurate.

But you must seat the bullet reasonably close in a dummy case, scratch it with 0000 steel wool, and move your seater down until the land marks can barely be seen. I write that down as the "kiss" mark. From there, I can jam or jump bullets as desired. I use only the Redding competition seater to do this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.