Browning bar

bamadawg2009

This is not for me but my pops hes looking to buy a Browning BAR in 300 WM. I was wondering if anybody had any previous experience with the BAR in this caliber. If nothing else he can always resell the gun the guy hes buying it from is only asking 700 for the gun and a nikon monarch scope. I know first hand the BAR can be a very accurate gun my dad has a 308 that in his hands is a half inch gun but hand it to somebady else and its a 4 ft gun. ALL advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I've been thinking about selling my .308 AR and getting a BAR in .300 (WM or WSM). The only one I've handled belonged to a good friend, and it was pretty impressive.

The BAR on .300 WM is a great rifle. It always seemed a bit bulkier than my favorite bolt actions but they are very reliable & accurate enough for 99% of hunting situations. Only major negative I can see is that some outfitters have rules for, "No semi-autos!". It looks like a good price on an elk rifle.

Now if he is planning on using it as an Eastern deer rifle, I think the .300 WM is a bit much. Inside 250 yards it's clearly overkill on a whitetail.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.