Ballistic AE Truing Velocity

scsims

Is there any difference in the velocity truing feature in the Ballistic AE software as opposed to just using the tried and true method of setting targets every 100 yards to find the drop at each range?

Just curious if anyone has used that feature, I've started using it and it seems to be working well. As my F1 shooting chrony is proving to be around 100fps slow per what I'm seeing at the range.

Just as an example I was shooting my Edge for the first time at 200 and 300 yards. Per the shooting chrony I had 2780 fps inputed into Ballistic AE for the 300 gr SMK, and dialed for the 200 and 300 yards zero. At both ranges I was .75" high. When I put this into the truing feature in the software it changes the velocity to 2880 fps. Which seems more like what I should be seeing I think.

I figured out part of the problem, I had IPHY set in the software when the scope is a MOA adjustment. Looks a little closer now. But I will need to test at further ranges.

I think the truing feature can be a lot more accurate with the more data you can provide.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.