bad groups with a bipod

foreign

i just got a bipod and put it on my remington 700 .308. took it out and had a shoot at 100m. the first shot went exactly where i wanted it to. the next went 5cm high and a little right, the next went 5cm right and the last went about 8 cm low and right. i thought that this was strange since i can hol better groups than this and the gun and load can too. took the bipod of and opened the first shot up with 2 shots that that took the sides out of the first one and made a 3 leaf clover shape. i was shooting on soggy grass with the bipod over a little bump from me and a sand bag under the rear.. i have checked the floating of the barrel and it seems all good. theres a 4mm gap around the barrel. any ideas. have heard of putting things under the bipod but dont want to carru carpet or something when hunting. cheers

Are you sure that the forarm doesn't flex while putting weight on the rifle? a weak stock will do this. Also you may want to "load" the bipod by grinding the legs into the ground and putting a slight amount of forward pressure against it when you are getting ready to shoot. Make sure you are keeping the same cheak weld and all around hold with each shot. there is an article floating around here that was full of information -- something like bugholes from bipod...

good luck.

You only Remington 700.

What model?

What stock?

If it's a hunting model, then the fore-end will flex and possibly contact the barrel.

As britz says, you need to load the bipod before each shot.

model sps so it does have the ****** plastic stock but i have cleared a big channel around the barrel (at least 4mm) and it takes a lot of downwards presure to get it to touch. maybe theres that much whip in the sine wave of the standard sps model that it moves the 4 mm and hits the stock. anyone know how much the barrel can whip????

If you have the sps modle, they are designed with full barrel contact and I would have done the same as you channeling the barrel out. If you have close to 3/16 inch, and you are still not close to touching the barrel when you load your bipod, than I would think the problem is in the action area. A bedding job may be required, but I'm no expert in this. I have heard that the trigger is a bit of a bother on the SPS modle, it is different from the regular 700 and I guess it isn't adjustable. Could the problem be here that you are flinching??? Good luck and good shooting ;)

hey britz i have pillar and glass bedded the action and it is solid. the trigger is adjustable and it is down around 2 pounds. im pretty sure that im not flinching since without the bipod i can hit the with in an inch pretty much every time with this load and gun

well, I'm out of ideas, if your sure that it shoots better off of bags. good luck, wish I could have helped.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.