Any Hensoldt 6-24x72 SAM users here???

49gmc

I'm considering purchase of a Hensoldt 6-24x72 SAM. It is such a rare expensive item that I haven't been able to find any actual owner/user feedback on the system, much less the ballistic software used to load the data into the scope. If anyone has any personal experience with this system I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Not surprisingly, no user feedback!

If any of you are up for analyzing my thought process on this decision and providing constructive criticism, here are my thoughts:

My intended use is 400-1500 meter recreational target shooting and twilight long range hunting. The twilight use is my reason for wanting the 72mm objective, and hunting is my reason for valuing an integrated ballistic computer solution, as time is often of the essence while hunting. My current rifle is a Savage 10FP McMillan in .308, but I will upgrade my rifle later on as budget allows to enable full utilization of the long range capability of this scope, likely to a .338 Lapua.

· Timeless Pros (pros not depending on the use of the ballistic computer)
o Windage and Elevation adjustments visible in the field of view
o Integrated cant and angle of fire sensors
o Ability to save multiple zero's, enabling effective utilization of a switch caliber platform such as the FNH Ballista
o 30 MOA integrated rings, ideal for use on an integrated base rifle such as the Ballista
o Cost of 34mm rings included in purchase price of scope

· Pros based on USING the ballistic computer as opposed to a more current/state of the art environmental sensor device and ballistic computer
o Integrated Atmospheric and Temp sensors
o Speed and minimization of number of devices required to calculate a ballistic solution

· Cons
o Ballistic computer likely obsolete (or soon to be) considering the options available from Kestrel and other integrated ballistic computer rangefinders
o Cost (I can afford it, but don't want to get hung up on bells and whistles of questionable value)
o Potential for lack of support (longer term)
§ Cassidian Optronics/Hensoldt has indicated that they plan to offer support for this optic for the foreseeable future, but I hate to spend $2k on features which may not be able to be repaired 5-15 years from now should I have a problem.
o Height over bore, the integrated rings do not allow the mounting height to be minimized in the case that the rifle on which it is mounted does not have a full length rail
o Inability to evaluate ballistic software package prior to purchase
§ for accuracy of the ballistic solutions provided by the integrated computer
§ And for the ease of use of the PC software required to generate and load the ballistic data onto the scope

Any one care to chime in?

Thanks,

49gmc

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.