Another new guy.

1187Shooter

Hello from the Deep South...
I've only recently become interested in long range hunting/shooting, as well as reloading.
I've always been an up close and personal type of hunter, and my primary rifles have been 30-30s for years. A few weeks ago I decided during a mixed hunt in Texas that I want to start working on gaining the ability to take game a little farther out. I was presented with some potential shots at 3-500 yards, that even with the 30-06 were too far due to the little 1-4 power scope I was using.
Right now I'm shooting an old Ruger m77 30-06 but am going to be picking up a 270 WSM soon, a friend conveniently has decided its too much rifle for his needs. Its also a Ruger, a Mk2 with a short 22" barrel.
I'm reading up on all the ins and outs of long range shooting, and learning what I can.
Its going to come in handy next year, as I'm moving back out west where I'll be exposed to many more opportunities for longer shots than I've been used to.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.