Accurizing the Winchester Model 70

remingtonman_25_06

I just got a new Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in 25-06. This rifle will be used primarily for coyotes/deer out to 600 yards. This is my first Winchester and I would like to know a couple things that would really help with the accuracy/consistency of the rifle. I am willing to send it away to have it accurized by a professional. I want it to shoot 1/2 MOA regularly with a fine tuned load.

A standard accuracy job like I do should consist of: setting the barel back a turn and rechamber to tighten up headspace and probably shorten up the throat, face off the receiver, lap lugs, square bolt face, trigger job, free float barrel and bed the lug.
However, shoot it first and see what kind of results you get- if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

The best way to test it; is fire different ammunition's grains and brands in 5 shot groups, clean between groups, you will be surprised how certain rifles like certain ammo... also make sure all screws are tight before going out..........

[ 06-05-2004: Message edited by: fmsniper ]

Guys
Any thoughts on the Mod 70's center action screw causing accuracy problems if over tightend? I tend to leave mine with just enough tension to hold.

Chris

I think I talked about this once before with my old Rem 700 ADL in .243 Win. I ended up selling the rifle, didn't shoot consistent enough and just really wasn't what I wanted in the end. I will get the trigger down to about 2.5-3 lbs and start load testing. If I cant get 3/4" consistently I just might send this rifle to you. I forgot about what the cost would be? What are usually the ending results when you get done working on the rifle? DO you shoot them to verify anything? Sorry for all the questions, but this is going to be my baby gun once again. I love the 25-06 and I know its accuracy potential, I just want some added insurance and the fact of knowing I got a real accurate rifle/load all the time. Thanks for the replys.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.