accurate magpro

biff's reloading

i dont know anyone who has used this powder, but i just ordered a can of it, and am going to try it in my 110e 243, and 700 .270. mostly im just wondering if any of the pro's here have any experience with it..... good or bad.

the 243 has had a little work done and it does well to 200 (the farthest target i got)with 1 inch groups at 200 (but i dont have a real good rest) and i use 70g noslers and varget for g-hogs and coyotes. i just got some 87g v-max's and thats what the magpro was intended for.

the 270 is a friend's, and i think it should do well in that too with the 130g noslers.

am i way off here?

thanks

Welcome aboard, hope you have a good stay.....Its a great place.

Regarding magpro, I have no personal experience. Maybe others don't either.

WOuld be a good chance for you to learn some things and post the results.

I'll be looking forward for your results.

BTW, no more whining about your rest. That's 1/2 moa you're shootin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have used MagPro in both of those calibers. Over the weekend, Father's Day, I will be visiting my folks and I can grab my data then.

I know off the top of my head that I did not get anywhere near the velocity claims made my Accurate. I was able to find a couple loads with it that shoot better than anything else I have found thus far. I am using MagPro with 140 gr NABs and getting good results. It was too inconsistent to work very well with the 150s, but I do have a load worked up with 130 gr NBTs I'll post.

In the 243, I was not able to find a load that was better than what I already had with H4350 or H4831sc. I could get more velocity, but the accuracy was not up to par. Check back Sunday or Monday, and I'll have all my loads up for you. I ran a couple ladders too, and if I can find them I'll post them too.

thankyou thats exactly what i am lookin for.

the Lee books shows 53.7g pushing an 80g bullet at over 3500. 3350-3400 with an 87g v-max outta the ol 243 savage, if it hits what i aim at, would be too sweet for words.......

Sorry for the delay, but I still can't find the exact loads I worked up. I can tell you that with 130 gr NBTs and 150 gr NP, the loads that shot the best were the max loads. I am pretty sure I was shooting 64 gr Magpro with the 130 NBTs. You have to use a drop tube to get the powder to fit, and the load is probably 105-110% case capacity. With the 140 NABs, the best load was 57 gr MagPro. It only netted me about 2879 fps with 25 to 30 rounds shot. The 140s have shot the best by far with Magpro in my rifle.

As far as the .243 goes, I never got a load to work out. I tried 70 gr NBTs, 80 gr NBTs and 87 gr VMAX. I went up to about 55 gr with the 70s, 54 with the 80s and 52.5 with the 87 gr VMAX. The velocity was not as predicted in all my trials with the .243. I guess the bullets are too light to take advantage of the slow burning powder. I got more velocity with H4350 and 87 gr VMAX, but I still have no load that shoots them very well.

My .243 has been very frustrating to get to shoot the polymer tipped bullets of all weights. It shoots the 88 and 90 gr Berger's lights out. I am still going to shoot up the bullets I have in an attempt to find a load, or I will save them to use to fire form 6BRX, Dasher or 6x47 Lapua when the time comes.

Good luch with your rifles getting the Magpro to work. FYI, the powder is very temp sensitive. At 95F the 140s shoot at 2950 and at 50F they chrono'd at 2800 fps. You may want to keep that trend in mind if you plan on cold-weather hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
the Lee books shows 53.7g pushing an 80g bullet at over 3500. 3350-3400 with an 87g v-max outta the ol 243 savage, if it hits what i aim at, would be too sweet for words.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your Savage a 26" barrel? If it is, MagPro may work much better for you. Mine has a 23 5/8" barrel IIRC, and the .270 has a 24" barrel. Once again good luck and let me know what you discover.

thanks sewwhat. i have the 23" barrel also, but the magpro seems to do as well as varget so far.

just a quick trip out to the range for a try of the magpro.

with the 87g v-max, 51g is doing the best. a little more than 2" at 265 yards in new winchester brass. i wasnt real concerned with speeds yet so i didnt bother with the crony.

49g- 8" group
50- 4" group
51-- 2 1/4" group.

ill try out a few more quick loadings tomorrow. probably 51g out to the lands, .010 back from the lands. 51.5 out and in, and 52 out and in.

dont know if anyone can use my info, but ill put it up here anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.