7mm mag 175 Nosler Partition

scdogman

Been shooting the 160 accubond. I notice the 175 partition is only slightly lower in BC.(.519 vs .531).

Any thoughts or experiences with the 175 partition. I've never had problems with the accubond but believe the partition is better. In this case, it seems I can have the better with only a small drop in BC. Now the gun loves the accubond.

The higher weight which increases the SD to .311 I believe.

scdogman,

Thanks for your post. I was considering moving from 160 grain Partitions to 160 grain Accubonds for my 7MM Rem Mag. I'm going to stick with Partitions.

I was going to use 175 grain Partitions for a once-in-a-lifetime trophy bull elk hunt a couple years ago. I loaded about 50 using RL-22. The load chrono'd at just over 3000 FPS, but it wasn't as accurate as my 160 grain Partition load using H-4831. That load chronos at just over 3100 FPS. I fired one 160 grain Partition at a HUGE bull. The bullet went through-and-through his massive chest, destroying his heart. He was dead on his hooves.

There is no doubt in my mind that a 160 grain Partition will kill all big game in North America.

What distance did you shoot your trophy? Congrats on the bull. What type of accuracy were you getting with the 160 vs the 175? Again I haven't had any problems with the accubond, I'm chasing sectional density and bullet mass. I am shooting the accubonds 700 to 800 yrds.

I took a cow on my first elk hunt this year. 270 win 150 partition with a 280 yard shoot.

Hi scdogman,

I shot him at 130 yards. It was a rut hunt in Southeastern Utah. It took 23 bonus points to draw one of two nonresident tags.

With 160 grain Partitions I'm getting at just under an inch. Admittedly I didn't give 175 grain Partitions a lot of work, groups were just over an inch.

Shooting out to 800 yards might require a longer bullet. I've never shot that far because there's nowhere in So Cal of which I aware that have targets more than 400 yards.

7mm Rem Mag 26" barrel

66.0 grains IMR-7828
WW-cases
CCI-250 primer
175 grain Nosler Partition

3060 FPS
3 shot group 5/8" @100 yards

This same load shot under MOA in four different rifles.

Great for elk.

Scratch

Thanks Scratch. I'm good to load some using H1000, cc250 and nosler brass. I have a 24 in barrel. Your 175 grains is travel as fast as my 160.

Thanks again for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.