7mm mag 139 sst

archery nut

looking for some thoughts / help i have 1000 139 sst in ,284 at least 10 lbs of 4831 sc my issue is finding a good load i have an older hornady book which gives max powder charges for this bullet and caliber of up to 71.4 grn of powder with an OAL of 3.29 I also have 9th edition and 11 editon which shows max at 65 grns theOAL in 9th is 3.29 the 11th edition is 3.23 ....scratching my head

my best groups as of 5 min ago @ 100 yrds are with 70 and 70.5 4831sc with no signs of pressure
col of 3.29 my hornady vole II says 71.4 is max

didnt set up chrone book estimates 3400? right now i was just quickly looking for groups , this is my sons gun that just doestnt have time to set it up so guess who is tasked ......gun is a rem 700 adl that he found about a 18 months ago brand new at a walmart ($384 ) with a cheap poly stock and a no name scope . has swapped out a boyds laminate stock upgraded a jewel trigger and i had a hawke sidewinder brand new layin in the box ........ had to have the timing on the bolt reworked still s tad sticky but its better , what i dont like is the skinny barrel 26 in on it heats up way to fast i like a varmint style barrel not a full bul but some what heavy im wondering how much whip im getting in barrel i have reworked the stock so i have a buisness card float to it . i wondering if a limbsaver barrel dampner may help . if it was my gun id already have it rebarreled with a brux or kreiger

went back to the loading bench checked chamber reloaded @ 70.0 grns of 4831sc with a rem case 139 sst 215 fed match primer col set at 3,37 ......2 holes touch jerked the third letting the barrel cool between shots . Im having a tough time getting the exact same cheek weld so the plan is to reload and play with COL some

If it wasnt my sons rifle id get rid of the whippy barrel

Recent Posts