697yd

wyowinchester

I've been using my 6.5 Creedmor with 140 A-max this year.
My boy spotting for me on a few elk at 700yds. watched the vapor trail sail right in chest of a big cow at a ranged 697 yds. She ran about 100yds, stopped and fell over.
The bullet entered the chest, thru the lungs, and heart, and broke the far leg.
It didn't exit so I will find it when we skin her.
It hit low so i need to re figure some ballistics. But, dead elk.

Way to go. The 6.5 did the job.I have been thinking about this cartridge a lot lately.
gun)

Thanks Guys;
I had the pleasure of taking one of my boys and my, almost 8 year old grandson with me. It was a left over cow tag hunt to fill the freezers.
The first day we finally spotted a herd of elk and put the sneak on them. When we got so we could get a shot, we got busted. They scattered out to just over 200yds. when they stopped to look. I dropped one with a shot in the neck and they left.
We dressed and loaded her up and went searching for more.
Around 4:00 that afternoon my boy found half a dozen more and the hunt was on. We tried to get close but there was no way. They were on a saddle top and we couldn't get any closer, so my boy suggest we dial up the scope. It took some time making sure the figures were right. With a solid prone rest, I took the shot and you've got the rest. After mine fell, My boy got behind my rifle with me spotting. They came with in 500yds but we couldn't get set up fast enough to kill another one.
All in all a great day hunting.
It took two more days to get up on more cows for my boy. We finally found a couple and got to 274yds where he shot the big girl in head, where she dropped down over a cliff about 30 feet down.

TAKE YOUR KID'S HUNTING

Awesome story, very cool to hear the creedmoor is working well for you! I was very hesitant myself to use mine on elk because i am running 123 grain SST's. However, will be going with me for deer.

Congratulations!

Well cut up elk this weekend. Found the A-MAX in the far shoulder.
Here are two sets of ivories, and the 140gr. from the cow at 697yds.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.