6.5 CM to .260 AI question

Hello. I am hoping with the wealth of knowledge on this site someone already has the answer to my question. My plan is to take a Ruger American 6.5 CM and have the chamber recut to .260 Ackley Improved. If I'm thinking correctly since the barrel on the Ruger is attached and headspaced with a barrel nut this should be a relatively easy job for a good gunsmith. I know some people will ask "why?" but much of the pleasure I get from this hobby is experimenting with the possibilities.
Thanks for any help.
This is the best decision I have ever heard since the needmoor came out on the market. Kudos to you sir! It's good to see some folks are coming to their senses.

I've been looking to see what the most case capacity I can fit into a short action with a .473 case head is. Looking like 257 Roberts AI from what I have found so far. I have a 6.5 CM that I bought for my wife to shoot but I'm bored with that now.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am rethinking my plan now. I may be better off leaving this rifle alone and rebarreling my WSM to a 6.5 PRC.

I've been looking to see what the most case capacity I can fit into a short action with a .473 case head is. Looking like 257 Roberts AI from what I have found so far. I have a 6.5 CM that I bought for my wife to shoot but I'm bored with that now.
Not to hijack this thread I will send a pm.

Oh I don't consider it a hijacking I am enjoying the information and education. I'm 62 years old been around guns my whole life and made my living with firearms and training but learn something new just about every day. I too am interested in the idea of the highest case capacity in a standard bolt face that can fit in a short action. Please share.

Here is a copy of my pm to IanCo
  1. 257 Bob Ackley is a fine choice for a short action. I have chambered & built 3 of these. Ballistically like a 25-06...had very good luck with 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips at about 3150 fps.. COAL running about 2.900 to 2.950 which fits in most short actions.
  2. Have chambered three 6.5/257 Bob A.I.s.
  3. COAL on some bullets like VLDs run a tad over 3" (ie; 3.010 etc). May not work in a short action. I have used long actions on both calibers. The 6.5 Bob A.I will shoot 120s at over 3000, 130s 2950ish and 140s at 2850 to 2875.
    Both calibers are perfect for deer & antelope. Mine are all sporter contour but still shoot under 1 moa on the 600 yard range.
    It is good to see others taking interest in the Ackley Bobs.
    Randy

4. He responded that he wanted to shoot the new heavies and would do more research.
My final response was to the effect that they might end up long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.