375 Cheytac Barrel Twist Help

inkballedtarget

Good evening guys!

I need to consult the brain trust on this one...

I am gathering parts for a 375 cheytac. I have an action and I know the stock that I want to order, where I am struggling is the twist of the barrel. I want to shoot the heavies, something along the lines of the CEB 400 gr , the 400 gr Rocky Mountain Bullet, also the GS 414. It however appears the jury is still out on what twist you need?

I have talked to a few guys here that are shooting this thing, and it appears that the gain twist is the way to go.... After talking to Bartlein, they arent running the 375 currently.

So my question is this, what twist do i need for the heavies? Will a 1:8 do it? Maybe a 7?
If an 8 or 7 will work, would a 350 run in a fast twist? My concern is it would over-stabilize and yaw as it losses velocity?

I appreciate any help!
Calvin

My understanding from both the CEB website and the GSC webside is 8.5

I don't plan on going anywhere near that heavy so a 12 is fine for me and 350 SMK or 320 range mono-metals.

I have both a 12 twist and 10 twist and for 350 SMKs the 10 holds accuracy to 2400. If you have gain twist then you have tp use the heavies. I decided not to although I had a great interest innthem. Check with Dave Viers on his experience at Viersco.

My understanding from both the CEB website and the GSC webside is 8.5

I don't plan on going anywhere near that heavy so a 12 is fine for me and 350 SMK or 320 range mono-metals.

Yes sir, it looks like from their data 8 twist will get it. I guess I was looking for confirmation on this!

I was also curious about the stability of the 350 out of an 8 twist. I have a feeling its a "you cant have your cake and eat it too" scenario.

We will see though! Thanks for your insight!
Calvin

I have both a 12 twist and 10 twist and for 350 SMKs the 10 holds accuracy to 2400. If you have gain twist then you have tp use the heavies. I decided not to although I had a great interest innthem. Check with Dave Viers on his experience at Viersco.

Hi!

Thanks for your post!

How does the 12 twist do?
I will get in touch with dave!

Thanks again!
Calvin

Yes sir, it looks like from their data 8 twist will get it. I guess I was looking for confirmation on this!

I was also curious about the stability of the 350 out of an 8 twist. I have a feeling its a "you cant have your cake and eat it too" scenario.

We will see though! Thanks for your insight!
Calvin
You got it.

I experience quite a bit of torque in just an 8 twist 260.

The quick acceleration of the 350 vs 400+ will probably torque hard.

The bullet RPM will be in the 250,000 plus range depending on speed.

Just so you are prepared.

Looking forward to build and range reports.

The 2 guns that Dave Viers is building for me are a 1-8 barrel he had and a Bartlien gain twist I found . I want to shot the bigger CCE bullets for this build.

Yes the RPM on the 350 may be to much. But will see ! ! !

Have not posted but do have a Stiller TAC 408 action with a Mc Cree tactical stock for sale. Or I will put a 375 barrel on if I can not move this first, Do not need 3 big guns for now.

Jeff

You got it.

I experience quite a bit of torque in just an 8 twist 260.

The quick acceleration of the 350 vs 400+ will probably torque hard.

The bullet RPM will be in the 250,000 plus range depending on speed.

Just so you are prepared.

Looking forward to build and range reports.

I think youre right. I will surely keep yall updated!
Thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.