.308 AR 1:10 Load?

huntxtrm

Hello all! I finally got my ar10 back from the smith. New barrel installed. It's a 1:10 twist 20" Stainless barrel. I want to reload some ammo, and break it in, the work up a load for it. I want to be able to go long with it. It has an adjustable gas block and buffer weight, if that helps with any advices. Also has a muzzle brake installed. I have a fresh box of SST 150's I was going to start out with. Loading with 4064, into LC brass. I have shot a few 150's out of the barrel so far, seem to shoot well. The loads I had where a little hot, so I am going to tame them down a little. Any better ideas? Will these 150's be able to carry out to yardage?

My son and I load for the LR-308 type rifles. We use H4895 and #34 primers in LC brass.

I believe the 4064 you are loading is also a very good powder for LR308 platform rifles.

One thing I would recommend is to use a heavier slug in the 165/168grn weight range. You will need the extra weight and the better BC of that group of slugs.

I started using 147/150 grn. slugs and could not get decent accuracy out of my DPMS GII Hunter. The rifle just would not shoot the lighter slugs well.

I changed to the 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 168 Nosler Custom Competition and all of a sudden I had an accurate rifle. I have been able to get 3 shot groups easily covered by a quarter at 200 yards and we have been able to shoot accurately out to 1100 yards so far. We are shooting at 6000 ft to get 1100 yards though.

We used our AR platform rifles to deer hunt last year and the 165 BTs did very well on the whitetails we shot.

Break in your new barrel, go to brassbombers and get your LC brass, work up your loads and go have lots of fun figuring out the long range game. Good luck.

Hello all! I finally got my ar10 back from the smith. New barrel installed. It's a 1:10 twist 20" Stainless barrel. I want to reload some ammo, and break it in, the work up a load for it. I want to be able to go long with it. It has an adjustable gas block and buffer weight, if that helps with any advices. Also has a muzzle brake installed. I have a fresh box of SST 150's I was going to start out with. Loading with 4064, into LC brass. I have shot a few 150's out of the barrel so far, seem to shoot well. The loads I had where a little hot, so I am going to tame them down a little. Any better ideas? Will these 150's be able to carry out to yardage?

I load 168 gr Berger classic hunter , Alliant AR Comp powder and CCI BR2 primers.
Those Berger CH bullets shoot well at Magazine length and have a good ballistic coefficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.