300rum power level ammo

shuamee

anybody figured out how to get good reloads that are like the power level 1,2, &3 that remington makes? mainly really just need the first lvel. not really worried bout the second and number three is covered in all my reload manuals pretty much. any ideas?

For starters, it's 98% marketing hype from Remington. There are significant differences between shotguns and rifles.

These aren't laser guided smart bombs either. So, they're simply tinkering with bullet weights, burn rates, and velocity for generic test barrels. They can't guarantee you that any one or all of their factory loads will be the best or even a good load in your rifle.

But if I wanted to develop some different "power level" loads with similar POA/POI, here's how I'd go about it.

First, develop your best long range load with a heavy/high BC bullet at the upper accuracy/velocity node.

Then for "lower power" loads, I'd go to a lighter weight bullet (less power/recoil) and work up from a minimum load until your POA/POI at your zero distance is similar to the first load. ...the rest of the trajectory curve will be different. Do your fine tuning with seating depth.

If you're a tinkerer and want to analyze more completely, you can use Quick Load or other ballistics programs to speculate about the ballistics curves and match impact velocity to the terminal performance characteristics of the bullets you're considering in order to set your target MV for short/medium/long range with the light/medium/heavy bullets.

Repeat for as many loads as you like. ...although, the rifle would be plenty comfortable to shoot with your best load if you'll get a good muzzle brake. So, wasting all of the money, time, and barrel life won't be necessary.

In the end, your prey will inevitably appear in your sights at the wrong distance for whatever special load you have chambered. Or worse yet, you'll use the wrong trajectory curve for the ammo you have chambered.

At most, I'd be looking for a long range hunting load and a target/varmint load. Since I dial the turrets and use a drop chart, I don't much care if the load has the same POI at my zero range.

JMO
-- richard

thanks alot for the reply really helps out alot. how much do u think the muzzle break would take off or the felt recoil? maybe a full ultra mag load feel like a 30-06? more or less diff? i have guns with breaks on them but never had a gun and had a break put on so i dont really know how much diff they could make. any suggestions on a break? the gun is a rem 700 sendero sf2

I have the same rifle as you. Sendero SFII 300 Rum. As soon as I am done saving, it is going to Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles for a 4 port "mini" Muscle Break. They are a great choice for this setup.

As far as effectiveness of muzzle breaks. I had a hard hitting 30-06 that I put a Hollands quick discharge break on. It now kicks less than my 6mm remington and just a touch harder than my 220 swift. They are incredibly effective for reducing recoil. Probably somewhere around 35 - 40% is my guess

My 7mm Rem Mag Sendero went from just tolerable with me shooting 3 shot groups to very pleasant shooting 20 shot strings for my then 14yo son.

The Muscle Brake by Kevin Cram gets great reviews.

Holland's QD brake is also very effective.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.