300 wsm stiff bolt

foggy

Hi to all.

I'm from the foggy and cold UK.:)

I have recently started reloading for my 300 wsm, kimber with a 24 inch barrel.

I'm using 180 grain nosler accubonds over H414 with Winchester brass, full length sized. 20 thou off the lands.

I am getting a slightly stiff bolt with 63.5 grains of h414 with a muzzle velocity of 2950 fps.

I have read quite a bit about factory loads giving very stiff bolts, mine is only a little more difficult than with a very mild load.

Is it possible that this is just an issue with the short fat cases and fairly rubbishy brass.

Do the cases just not return down in size so well as others?

Many thanks in advance.

Nik.

hi Foggy, and welcome to our FORUM. isn't it supposed to be Jolly ole England?

just funning ya:D anyway back to your questions,you might be close to max for your Kimber rifle,as usual watch for pressure signs etc etc . yes your right about factory rounds sometimes showing excess pressure signs, especialy with new rounds that their marketing. not bashing them but it does happen.

I don't think its a question of the short fat cases at all, they reload the same as any other in my book.

true theres better brass but at more Cost, w-w brass has always worked out good for me, presently reloading for a ss barreled action in a wby-vanguard wood stocked 300 wsm.

no pun intended but you being a newbie reloader its IMPORTANT to read all you can and triple check what you do for safety,theres a universe of knowledge here just waiteing to be Read and Learned, so carry on ole' CHAP or Young CHAP ,AND WELCOME aboard, regards jjmp:D:D:D

Thank you kindly young sir.

Yes, I am relatively new to reloading , but have got a .243 and .308 shooting real nice,

Both sako 85's . The 300 wsm is a rarity this side of the pond , so there is virtually no factory ammo to be had, and brass is like rocking horse poo aswell.

I was hoping you guys had more experience with this calibre, and of course you do, which is why I ask.

Thanks you for your response and I will of course take what you say and take heed.

I have also got some vhit N550 to work with as well.

Most powders and bullets are getting rare as hen stealth here!!

It's actually pretty warm and sunny here right now. :))

Many thanks.

Nik.

your very Welcome Friend, my nosler #5 manual shows vit n550 being used for evey bullets weight nosler makes. your sako's are AUwsome rifles, own 1 md 75 stw and two pre 75 semi-customs factorys 223, 270 win.

ifin you need reload data just pm me here ,I personally don't own all the newest manuals but i'll help you ifin I san.

was overcast and cloudy but the suns out now ,cheers jjmp

Fog, welcome tho the forum. I load 300 WSM for my hunting pal and his cases stretched to the point the bolt was slightly stiff. Ordered the Redding 300 WSM body die ( part # 75223) to bump the shoulder back. Now the cases chamber fine. His brass is Federal. Good luck. Sunny and 109 degrees

Last edited:
I shoot 300 wsm.

IMO H414 is not the ideal powder.
You are a little beyond book but you're velocity is 'close'.

Win brass for the wsm is good. Is Rem, Nosler/Norma better? Well the loads are different but the accuracy is not. I have one lot of win that is at 16 firings.

IMO a 'slower' powder may provide more fps and less pressure. I am now using H4831 under 208 A-Max. If I were to reduce bullet weight to 180 I'd go back to H4350 but for you one of the VV powder may develop pressures more slowly for your combination.

Well guys,

I got some loads done today , and the temperature was a warm 25 degrees Celsius

So as this will be similar to the temp in Africa where this gun is going in October ,

I thought , perfect to get a load going.

Well 61.0 grains of Vhit N550 gave me a 1.5 inch group, not happy :-(

This was book max, but I've loaded this before and saw no pressure, so I loaded some

With 61.5 grains ,,,, And bingo,,, Half a grain made all the difference.

That's a 5 shot group!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi.

Reloaded is available at some shops, vhit, some hodgedon but hardly any H4350 around these days.

Ramshot hunter is pretty rare too.

Trouble is we have to pick up powder in person or pay £30.00. Odd for special courier.

Bullets also have to go on our licenses so pick up only again,

This can cause problems as so few shops locally stock hardly any reloading consumables.

Powders and bullets are really becoming a struggle to get hold of, and we can only hold maybe 300 in each calibre.

It's a proper pain in the a**e working up loads! but once you got one it's stock up time.

I'm using federal 215 primers but have some 210 s'. Aswell.

image.jpg

This old girl was with a 308 last October in S.A. :)

Last edited:
Is there any circular scratches on the case head when you remove the case from the gun? Check to bolt face see if there is any rough edges on the extractor slot may be the problem. Is there any scratching on the case head shaped like the extractor slot scuffed on the case head? If there is a actual scuff the shape of the extractor slot the Chamber pressure may be to high. Check the bolt handle slot is the bolt shoving back on the bolt handle instead of the front lugs when the rifle is fired. After firing the rifle will a .001 feeler gauge slide between the back of the bolt handle and the receiver, look for shiney spots on the bolt slot in the action. Good Luck in finding the problem. My Kimber Montana 300 WSM likes IMR 4350 and handles it well with good accuracy with 180 gr. bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.