300 rum load advise

hatchetjack

Shot 4 different loads today with h1000 and 220smk the group was an inch 3 shots vertical. Second load was two in same hole and about an , inch above. Third load two touching and one an inch above all vertical shot strings. 4th load sticky bolt no good. My factory swift scirroccos shoot five in a half an inch just for background idea.Any thoughts on where to go next.

You didn't give much for details, but it almost sounds like you don't want to adjust your scope?

As long as you are under published load maximums you'll find something. Just don't rely on primers or "sticky" extraction as your tell for high pressure; they are a horribly POOR indicator of such. An accurate chronograph is the best tool, short of a Pressure Trace.

This load had perfect primers, normal recoil and report, perfect extraction. Nothing said there was over pressure, nor any dangerous secondary pressure spikes.
DON'T rely on brass!
Screenshot_2015-01-31-15-00-18_zpsmopqcu83.png

Single shot, I'm 40 thousandth of the lands. The third load was 2 grains over max and the 4th was 4 0ver max.

Go over to accurateshooter.com to the forum and search "load development at 100yds". Eric Cortina has a MANY page thread on finding your optimum powder charge followed by seating depth. His system is simple and effective. There are a ton of example targets to check out through the thread to help you out. My 300 RUM likes Retumbo.....gun)..........................................:)......Best Of Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.