• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

28 Nosler Rifle For Sale

coyotezapper

For sale is a Remington 700 Stainless Steel LA rifle chambered in 28 Nosler. This rifle has only had one round fired through it to function test it. Rifle specifics are as follows:

• Rem 700 LA SS fully blueprinted. This action was pulled from a 7STW after I shot the barrel out. Action is in perfect condition with no galling on the mating surfaces.

• 26" Bartlein SS fluted cut rifle 5R barrel in 3b contour 1-8 twist.

• Vais Micro muzzlebrake.

• Holland Recoil Lug pinned to action.

• H-S Precision Composite stock with full length aluminum bedding block. I have had this stock for a few years but have ever used it. The original color was OD with black webbing but I have cerakoted it Magpul FDE. Stock is inletted for the Remington LA magnum detachable box magazine which is included.

• Shilen Rem 700 trigger. This trigger is adjustable and I will set it to buyers selected pull weight. I will not set it below a pull of 24 oz. on a hunting rifle. Buyer can set it lower if they have the knowledge and ability to set this trigger lower.

• Barreled action is skim bedded into stock using Devcon 10110 steel putty.

* Barreled action has been cerakoted Graphite Black.

Price delivered to your FFL dealer is $2200. A copy of your FFL dealers license is required with payment and will be checked to insure it is current and in good standing. You can PM me with your email address and I will send you pictures of the rifle.

Also available with this rifle is the following reloading components. This will be sold separately from rifle and will be held and sold to rifle buyer first. If buyer does not wish to buy the components they will then be sold first come, first served. All components are brand new, never used. Components are as follows:

• Redding Shellholder.

• Redding Type "S" Match 3 Die set #38790.

• 3 boxes – 75 pieces of Nosler brass.

• 1 Copper Creek Cartridge Co. modified case for Hornady/Stoney Point OAL tool.
Price for entire set is $300.

PM me with questions or pictures.

Last edited:
pics ? Is it throated for 195gr bullets or 180 and lighter ? Thanks

PM me with your email address and I will send you picks.

Yes it will shoot the 195's.

Let me explain the reamer used and a little background as to why I use this reamer. When I built the first 28N most everyone was using a reamer with a .220" freebore or one somewhere in that area. Most keep their freebore specs a secret for whatever reason. This allowed the bullet to be seated out longer and allowed more powder capacity and the thinking was more velocity. The problem with these longer freebores was that they required a longer box magazine to be used. I found the Wyatt's 3.85" RUM magazine to work the best. But what was not taken into consideration was the throat erosion. The 28N is an overbore cartridge and the throat will wear even if you keep it polished. I have a couple of builds with the earlier reamers that are already at 1500 rounds and are still shooting great but the problem is that as the seating depth has been adjusted to account for the throat erosion and load tune and now the bullets are seated so far out they have less than ideal neck tension and they have to be shot as a single shot because they are too long for the magazine. Not a big deal with the single shot but something to keep in mind was the mindset with this setup.

I then called Dave Kiff at PTG and discussed this issue and we came up with a little different reamer. This reamer was decided upon because most of thee builds I was doing were customer Rem700''s and these required a little more thought into the reamer. Here is the comparison between the two reamers and as you will see are very close in performance.

Original reamer 3.75" OAL with bullet .005" off the lands 195 Berger 26" BBLs.
Retumbo 3000 fps
RL33 3050 fps
These were the accuracy nodes for this reamer from multiple rifles and pressures were a measured 64K+ but under the saami 65K limit.

New Reamer Specs
Berger bullet touching lands at 3.551" OAL This puts the boattail ogive junction at the bottom of the shoulder losing 2-3 grains case capacity but as you will see the accuracy node is only slightly lower in velocity compared to the original reamer. Actual burns rates vary a little from lot to lot so these capacity numbers can vary a little but the accuracy node has always been in the same place for both reamers. This reamer also makes it ideal for the 168-180 bullets.

Retumbo 2950 fps
RL33 3025 fps

FWIW, I know here on LRH the narrative is that RL33 is the best powder for the 28N but in the many 28N rifles I have developed loads for Retumbo has been the most accurate hands down. And as mentioned above these have been pressure tested loads.

Best LR hunting bullets ( actual field testing on game ) with the 28N.
Berger 180 VLD ( not the 195, it has not performed well at all but most are still using it )
Hornady 180 ELD-M
Nosler 175 LRAB ( best )

[email protected] It sounds like you know what you are doing!! Ha I have been looking at either buying a 300 Remington ultra mag or 28 Nosler for long-range Elk/deer hunting.

I was just surprised to read the 195 don't perform well on game... I've heard of great results from them from several people with several rifles...
I'm curious to hear more about that

Bump for ya too

I was just surprised to read the 195 don't perform well on game... I've heard of great results from them from several people with several rifles...
I'm curious to hear more about that

Bump for ya too

If the 195's are prepped properly they work fine. Now what I mean by that is the tips need to have one of two things done to them. The easiest is to run a pin drill into the hollow point of all the bullets. This allows them to open consistently. If this is not done there are instances where the hollow point will pinch close on impact and will not open up and just pencil through the animal. I have never had this problem with the 180's but I have had this problem with the 195's and the 338 250 EH's. I trim and uniform the meplats and pin drill them before using them now.