270Win. 130gr or 150gr

mustfish

I am currently shooting a Hornady 130 sst for whitetail and have also shot 130 gr Remington corelockt. I almost never get an exit wound. If I switched up to the 150 gr would that give a better chance at an exit wound. I shoot the 130 due to longrange performance. One of our best box stands requires shots out to 300 or even 400 yards to cover the whole field. I want the exit wound for a better blood trail if trailing is required. I have also considered moving to a 7mm but I like my 270. Easy on the shoulder.

If you want an exit wound shoot a different bullet. You do not need to change calibers. The 130 Nosler Accubond, 130 Hornady Interbond, and the 130 Barnes TTXS are three bullets that should provide you with an exit wound. You could also move up to the 140 grain bullets of the same make.

Last edited:
I confirm with the 140 grain bullet selection. A friend and I use to shoot 130's out of our 270 and blow clean throught them (whitetails) and still run some distance.

My friend went to 150's (factory ammo) and started dropping them in their tracks. Since I reload I went to 140's with the same results but a little more on the FPS which I thought was a better trade off then the 150's.

Just personal preference, but same results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.