257 stw

Three44s

I apologize if this is the wrong place. I have looked over the various places it could fit and thought all in all ........ this was the best. If it's wrong ..... Moderators please move it or tell me where to take it. Thanks

What I have is a new to me Savage Varmint small shank SS 26" barrel originally in .25-06 that was reamed by a Smith to 257 STW.

I mounted it on one of my Savage 110's and have been working up loads.

I bought this for a very long range coyote stick.

I have found data by way of Reloader's Nest and an article from Shooting Times (Layne Simpson).

I am surprised that data for this wildcat is as "thin" as it is ........ but that's the road you chose when go with a wildcat.

Are there any other .257 STW users out there?

Currently, I am testing the 100 Nosler ballistic tip.

I got a .390" 3 shot out if it with RL 22 but with just 72 grs.

I am currently working with US 869 and at around 86 gr. got a .750" 3 shot out of but at around 90 gr. I get one of the three shots as a flier.

I am sure my stock is holding me back ........ it's still the tuppeware.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

Three 44s

Hi
Yes I have a couple of 257 stw. One is a regular one and the other is an ackley.
I have found that in the regular one that ramshot magnum works the best. I have used r25 and it was one of the worst. It would be good and then would blow primers out. The ramshot is more stable.
The 25 would bridge and cause pressure problems when it got close to max.
And if we are shooting these we need to be able to stoke it up. The ball powders work way better.

HiQUOTE=Three44s;974262]I apologize if this is the wrong place. I have looked over the various places it could fit and thought all in all ........ this was the best. If it's wrong ..... Moderators please move it or tell me where to take it. Thanks

What I have is a new to me Savage Varmint small shank SS 26" barrel originally in .25-06 that was reamed by a Smith to 257 STW.

I mounted it on one of my Savage 110's and have been working up loads.

I bought this for a very long range coyote stick.

I have found data by way of Reloader's Nest and an article from Shooting Times (Layne Simpson).

I am surprised that data for this wildcat is as "thin" as it is ........ but that's the road you chose when go with a wildcat.

Are there any other .257 STW users out there?

Currently, I am testing the 100 Nosler ballistic tip.

I got a .390" 3 shot out if it with RL 22 but with just 72 grs.

I am currently working with US 869 and at around 86 gr. got a .750" 3 shot out of but at around 90 gr. I get one of the three shots as a flier.

I am sure my stock is holding me back ........ it's still the tuppeware.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

Three 44s[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheyenne 1,

I know where an unopened can of Ramshot Magnum is but I have not been able to trade the owner out of it yet.

I am testing US 869 right now ...... it's a spherical but have not hit pay dirt yet but I do think changing my stock is next ..... with a relatively short barrel life, I need to rule out obvious flaws to my platform so as to preserve barrel and not fritter it away.

At least that's what I am thinking currently.

Best regards and thank you!

Three 44s

I just put my 257 stw together too. Mine is a Montana 1999 action with a Lilja 1-10 3 grove barrel. I went with a 29 inch barrel and put one of Kirby's pain killer brakes on it. I have had great success with Ramshot's Magnum powder. I use it with Barnes 100 grain TTSX bullets and 80 grains of the Magnum powder. The Matrix 125 has 77.7 grains behind it. The Barnes is a 3/8" at a hundred load in my rifle. The Matrix will shoot a little better.

Both bullets might be a little bit tougher a bullet then what you need for coyotes though.

HT,

I think at 257 STW velocities, an FMJ would unravel a coyote .......... LOL!

I like your level of accuracy! You are using equipment several notches more sophisticated than I have ........... good work!

A friend of mine has a pound of Ramshot Magnum I have been trying to talk away from him! He just grins back at me!

Best regards and thank you!!

Three 44s

I haven't had a chance to shot anything with the STW, but I hunted with a 257 Weatherby for a few years. A fast 25 cal can do some amazing things. He's is a pic of the rifle.

I am sure that Savage you have built will be accurate. You just need a good powder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 24
I have feelers out for the Federal 215 primer as well as Retumbo powder.

I have a few to try even without the Retumbo however:

H50

7828 SSC

US 869

So far, I have tried just the US 869 and one primer .........

Thanks for the encouragement ......... I'll get there if it's in the cards!

Best regards

Three 44s

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.