1st long range build

magman44

I am building my first gun for long range I have a rem. 700 action that use to be a .300 win mag. I would to build something in the .284 class but have no idea what is good for long range please tell my a cal. and the rate of twist i should order all replys would be helpful
Thanks,
Nathan

P.S I was looking at the 7mm stw is that a good choice. gun)

Go 7mm RUM. Good ballistics and all the juice you will need to push the 284 bullet. As far as twist, if you want to go with a heavier bullet a 1:9 or 1:8 should take care of your heavy bullet needs, unless you get into some custom bullets. If you don't want to burn that much powder, then go with the 7mm WSM. I have read a lot of good things about this caliber.

Have Fun,
Tank

Plain old 7mag...I know, boring, but your action, bolt face & feed ramp are all ready for it and it has the perfect combination of recoil level and ability to launch a 168 or a 180 Berger to 1000+ and kill effectively IMO.

Stay with .300WM, more bullet selection, and your barrel will last longer. Good luck!

ADDED: Courtesy of JE Customs

Some times when considering a re-barrel and chamber or cartrige change you need to
know what round will work without bolt face and extractor work.

All of these groups of cartridges should interchange without bolt face and extractor
work.( some work on receiver rails may be needed to improve feeding ).

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-
264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott.

Last edited:
7 Rem Mag ,or 7 STW. You don't need to jump up to the 7 RUM.
I personally have the 7 STW
The action you have will accomadate the 7 STW just fine.

Plain old 7mag...I know, boring, but your action, bolt face & feed ramp are all ready for it and it has the perfect combination of recoil level and ability to launch a 168 or a 180 Berger to 1000+ and kill effectively IMO.

I agree with Sharpstick there's not to much you couldn't do with both of those bullet in North America. A 1:9 twist should stabilize both bullet's without a problem.

Stay with .300WM, more bullet selection, and your barrel will last longer. Good luck!

ADDED: Courtesy of JE Customs

I already have 2 300wm and 1 300 wby mag or I would. I dont have a .284 of a .338 cal bullet dou you think it would be better for me to go with the .338 for long range on deer and elk

I agree with Sharpstick there's not to much you couldn't do with both of those bullet in North America. A 1:9 twist should stabilize both bullet's without a problem.

I'm going to jump on with these guys. 7mm Rem with 1:9 is a fantastic long range cartridge with minimal recoil. If you want a really long range gun (>1k) then I would probably opt for a 0.338.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts