168 Gr TTSX COAL problems

nyale1218

Im loading some 168Gr TTSX for 30-06 using IMR 4350. I got Load data strait from Barns and it says the COAL for the load should be 3.218. It says it will be a compressed load at 54.0 gr up to 57.5 for max. I tried to seat the bullet and the i only could get it to 3.275 without it bouncing back from the powder compressing. Im no genius but i think that is to compressed and it will cause issues. I checked the Maximum OAL that the gun would allow from the lands and it was around 3.450 give or take on the times i did it. Barnes said they there bullets like a jump of .070 to .030. If i do that my COAL would be 3.380. My magazine well will hold up to a 3.500 so that wont be an issue.

I am wondering what should i start with i was thinking 3.380 was a little long but could be wrong. I was thinking of starting around 3.340 to see what that will produce, that is still a jump of .110. Im not sure if i will be able to make these bullets shoot accurately out of my gun with that big of jump.

Im shooting a model 700 Remington in case you are wondering

Barnes says .050 to start.

Your compressed load by the book doesn't make sense to me.

IIWM I'd start at 3.4 that's the .050 off the lands recommended.

QL Model says IMR 4350 would work, 54gn is 100% case capacity of close.

I'm not in my shop or I'd make one up to see but I get best results with the first groove exposed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts