107 gr. SMK on deer

buffalorancher

I shot my 14th whitetail doe last night with the 107 gr 6mm SMK. The reason I bring this up is the 6mm gets a lot of mileage here and I've had great luck with these bullets inside 500 yards. All bang flops with massive internal trauma and pieces of lead everywhere. These are going 3200 fps in my 6x284 and I've killed deer as far as 1007 yards. Once you get over 500 yards or it looks like you get under 2300 fps you start getting pencil holes all the way through and very poor bullet performance so I don't shoot that far anymore. Also, button bucks can be hard to tell way out there. I just thought somebody might be interested in these results.

On a side note, the reason I still shoot these bullets is because it's the only bullet my 6x284 will consistently shoot under 3/4 of an inch. The 105 gr A-Max was great but blew up and everything else won't shoot. It's been frustrating using up a lot of barrel life to find nothing and the 107 shoots by far the best with H4350 so I get pressure at even 3200 fps.

thanks for sharing that info. thats about the same combo im shooting out of my 243 wssm. my load is 41 grs imr4350 under the 107 matchking at 3190. i havent shot any critters yet with it, i decided to give the wildcat 105gr bullets out on game this year, all i can say is WOW, i couldnt belive the damage it did to the antelope my little brother shot with it. huntinfool18

Number 15 tonight. I use 44.5 grains of H4350 to get 3200 out of my 6x284. It seems like a waste to have cartridge of this size yet I get very little if any gain over the smaller 6's if I want any accuracy. Norma brass was shot out after three of these loadings. The wildcats I tried were 110 and 115 but they almost all blew up when I put any speed to them.

I got a 243 ackley that pops the 107's @ 3200 w/ 45 gr RE 22. My first shot at a critter was sunday night at 690 yds. A nice plump whitetail doe. Have the shot on video and smoked her right behind the shoulder....Perfect!! so I thought? After finding blood, (good blood), i jumped her up from laying down about 80 yds from impact, another 80 yds and she took one from my .45 to put her down. Kind of sucked trailing a doe after dark in a plum thicket forest. I had hit about 1 inch to 2 inches back from the boiler room. The bullet didn't expand at all. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it should have done the trick.

I'm gonna try the high shoulder shot this weekend and see if it works a little better.

Sure is frustrating.???????

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts