zeiss vs. vortex for ar 15

raggedreef

I have a new ar 15 in .223 that I am having a difficult time deciding which scope to put on it. I will mostly be using this gun for coyote hunting and some long range varmint and target shooting. My goal is to have something that makes a 600 yard hit consistently. The scopes I have narrowed it to is the vortex viper PST in either 4-16 or 6-24 or the Zeiss conquest in 6.5-20 with the varmint reticle. I can easily get the Zeiss and found a PST 4-16 ffp today at a local store. Suggestions on if the ffp is worth it? Should I wait to get a 6-24? I know the PST is a difficult scope to get your hands on. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I have the Vortex 6-24x50 FFP, but I have it on a Savage rifle in .260.Not sure I would want that big scope on my AR. On my AR, I have Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50. But 10 power might not be enough for small targets at 600 yds. The 4-14 sounds about right if you need to get a quick shot with the AR and still able to zoom in for longer range..

To be honest I just bought this scope in Feb. So I haven't hunted with it yet. The reticle does get very small and you cannot read the numbers 10 or 20 for MOA. then it does get bigger at higher power. I just shot last night at 880 yds and on 24X the crosshairs covered a 1.5 in orange dot I had on my target. I could see why people like SFP. I thought I might try some ranging with the reticle in the future and bought the FFP. I do like the scope but you should look through them before you make a decision.

The only vortex I have had a chance to look through was the 4-16 PST ffp and it was only in the store so it was really hard to compare to anything. I just felt like it could be hard to focus on the small reticle at 4x with a running coyote at 50 yards. Any input?

I will have to look through mine tonight, but mine only goes down to 6X. I will see if I can get some farm cats running at 50yds.:) But not shoot them!

Well the 6X is a little high but not bad. Also the markings of 10 and 20 MOA are not as small as I thought. I can read them on low power. One thing that is nice is the illuminated cross hairs if you decide you need to see them better. I would still go for the 4-16 on the AR.

I didnt have any problem. But the illumination is there if you really want to see the cross hairs instead of the black blending in.

I ended up with the 4-16 vortex viper PST. I have only put like 50 rounds through it but so far I love it.The only complaint is that the turrets are a little easy to spin so if iI slide it in and out of a case theysspin. But they always return to my zero.

...this may re-enforce your decision!

very happy with mine....btw I shot this groundhog at 637 on 10X

switch to 1080p for higher res

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81pMVGZNGi0]6PDK Ohio Groundhogs 637 yard Shot AR15 AR-15 6.8SPC Sniper - YouTube[/ame]

Raggedreef, The turrets click really solid on mine. the case i use has a zipper that goes the whole top of the case. 6.5x61Super, That is some great shooting! You really have a ground hog problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts