Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
My all time favorite is my custom 30-378 pushing 150 gr barns x's at 3810 fps with great accuracy, however the brass has nearly doubled in price this last year so in answer to your poll I am currently looking at building both the 338 RUM and the 300 RUM.
Thx

you did not have the caliber I am building up. so I had to go with a caliber I already had but am building to be much better.

I am currently building a 375 Ruger. I have a Model 70 safari action, a shilen barrel, Brown Precision stock, Leupold I/R dangerous game VX-3 scope, SRW rings, Grand Slam bases, 3 port compensator, Jewel trigger, kick-eeze magnum recoil pad, and some marine-tex steel bed.

I am also currently rebuilding my Savage 110 300 W/M with a more accurate barrel. 4" at 200 yards just does not make me feel confident when I go out to hunt elk or moose.. hence the 375 Ruger build up and the 300 W/M is going to be a long range target gun.

later gun)

Sticking to the above list,it would be the 300 RUM. The one I have now is just too easy to work with. It shoots so many things well,I can't stop thinking it may be "my" ultimate rifle. On the other hand. Venturing away from the list I would have to say,now don't laugh, the 270 Weatherby. I had a Winchester Sporter Mag a few years ago chambered in the 270 WM and just loved it. Where is it now you ask? Hard times,hard luck and cold hard cash. Dumb stuff you do when in need. Someday before I die,I'll have a sweet little mountain weight custom 30/06 too. Just a dandy all around eastern deer/bear rifle. Currently I'm about 2 weeks away from the 284 Winchester I'm having built at this very moment. Long action 700 tweeked, Shilen #4 cut to 23",Holland lug, upgraded firing pin assy,skimmed in a B&C M40 A1 green/black web stock. Leupold dual dovetails (epoxied and lapped), and a VXII 4X-12X 40mm. That's the skinny on that. For now anyway:rolleyes:.

I didn't see .338/.378 Weatherby either, I fell in love with this round about 8 years ago, and with some careful reloading and bullet selection it has performed real well, so I'm going to get a rifle built in this caliber.... sometime! But for now my Accumark in that caliber is my choice for big game.

Having a number of rifles in various calibers I would build a 300 WinMag because it's capable of meeting short range and long range requirements and the recoil is manageable. The range of bullets and their effect on small to large game are proven. For MY purposes it's bullet weights and Ballistic Coefficients cover many aspects for target practice and the hunting of big game in the USA. With excellent barrel life. When throat erosion effects accuracy you can cut the barrel back and re-chamber it and your good to go.

I've been a 300WM shooter for over 40 years. It's been an outstanding "Go to" rifle when hunting in high and low altitude in desert and mountain terrain, across canyons and ridges and difficult wind condition, high heat and -25 degrees with winds blowing over 20+ mph.

I'm impressed by the 338 Edge, 338 Lapua and the 338 RUM. The 300WM can perform 80% of the shots I've made with authority and limited meat damage. The 338's are superior when you start shooting 1000 meters+. Having both the foot pounds of energy, feet per second, and wind stability. But, elk I've seen killed by a few 338's were DRT with allot of meat destroyed. To gain benefits with the 338s requires longer barrels and muzzlebreaks. Plenty of trigger time, and significantly more powder and large quantities of brass. This equates to more $$$$$ spent loading ammo in a year of shooting.

At 65, I believe if you want it, buy it. If you can't afford it, sell anything your not using to pay for your new toy.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Most 338 LM reloaders are getting 15-30 reloads with Lapua brass, it starts to get real cheap even over the 300 edge with volume. The 300 WM is a go to caliber too. It all depends on how far you want to shoot I guess.

I have a 7 MM STW and since it is not listed I guess the 7rum. But I would not trade for my STW. It is a fine shooting rifle and I have killed Elk and Mule Deer a long way out there. It shoots 1 MOA at a 100 yards with Burger 168 VLD and I could not ask for a better shooting rifle.