Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL? **OLD POLL**

Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL?

• MOA

Votes: 1,135 68.6%
  • MIL

Votes: 519 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mil requires that I think in dimensions that are not part of my daily routine.

I have so many devices in MOA the conversion is not financially practical.

MOA because that's what all my shooting partners use. I could just as easily switch to mils but would only do so if that's what all my buddies used too. People get too tied up in the metric vs standard debate, just dial the number your ballistic calculator gives you and shoot straight. As a spotter it doesn't take much practice to learn to adjust your calls in Mils instead of minutes.

I have been researching the difference. The math is easier for MOA. It is an automatic calculation for me. I have never used a MIL dot for any length of time. I have them but I've just used the dots as a rough estimate rather than a calculated reference.

That is because my experience has always been with MOA. Now that I have started to think what a MIL dot represents it makes sense to know how to use the MIL dot scope...but unless I know why I NEED to change, I will keep my MOAs mounted and the MIL dot scopes for spares.

MOA because that's what all my shooting partners use. I could just as easily switch to mils but would only do so if that's what all my buddies used too. People get too tied up in the metric vs standard debate, just dial the number your ballistic calculator gives you and shoot straight. As a spotter it doesn't take much practice to learn to adjust your calls in Mils instead of minutes.

^^^ I completely agree with BL. I have run Mils & I kinda like'em BUT... all my shooting partners run MOA. It become a PITA trying to make correction calls for eachother when one is MOA & one is MIL. So, I got rid of my MIL/MIL & converted everything to MOA. The next optic I buy will most likely be a SHV/MOAR.

t

I recently exchanged an NXS NPR-1 for a Leuy MK-4 with TMR (mils) and will send it in for the T(something)32x1 which is MOA with 32 MOA hold over in the reticle.

I just converted all my scopes from BDC to MOA. I went from 5 Nikon Monarch BDC's to 5 Vortex Viper's MOA. It was about a grand difference, but well worth it.

I can not communicate in mils nor does anyone I shoot with so while I do have mil optics I only use it with a app or measuring with the reticle, I can not look at something and know what it would be in mils. If everything about an optic was perfection except it was in mil/mil or mil/moa I would choose the mil/mil over mixing reticle value and turret value.

MOA or bust :Dhttp://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Oh I use both and since my cheap junk scopes come with mil dot reticle and MOA turrets I have gotten used to converting things on the fly. If i had the money to switch everything it would just be mil/mil or MOA/MOA so I don't have to sipher quite as much. My limited budget has pushed my math up a couple notches on the up side lol!

I think it is a personal choice. What works best for you. As a point of interest, MOA and MILS are measuring two different things. MOA you are measuring the angle the rifle is aimed at. MILs you are measuring the distance one way or another at the target. Milli Radians work like this. A circle always has a one unit radius for our purpose. The circumference of a circle is 2 Pi R, or 2 x 3.14 x1. So the outside distance of our circle is always 2 Pi Radians.

If you look through your scope and count the number of mils your target covers you can divide the height in millimetres by the number of mils and you will get the distance to target in metres. This is a really easy calculation.

Thanks for putting up with my maths lesson. I enjoy numbers. I still think whatever you prefer is largely what you are used to working with.

Oh I use both and since my cheap junk scopes come with mil dot reticle and MOA turrets I have gotten used to converting things on the fly. If i had the money to switch everything it would just be mil/mil or MOA/MOA so I don't have to sipher quite as much. My limited budget has pushed my math up a couple notches on the up side lol!

Check out THLR.no on youtube for a quick and cheap fix for your mil/moa setup. Not elegant, but very practical.

I prefer MOA for all my gear. I understand MIL and can work with it, and have spotted for other shooters with MIL scopes on occasion with only a slight headache afterward. MIL is probably easier to use if you are using metric distance measurement for range, but the quick-and-dirty "inch per hundred yards" was what I learned first, and it wasn't too difficult to refine that to 1.047 inches per hundred a little later in my learning process. Box testing every scope, and trajectory validation for every rifle/load setup takes care of any mis-understanding one might have anyway.

Easier for me to do mil math in my head - everything is broken down into 10th's. All I have to do is move the decimal place around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts