NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be in MOA or in MIL?

• MOA

Votes: 433 70.0%
  • MIL

Votes: 186 30.0%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Things in the LRH optics field have been changing fast.

So I'd like to take a fresh look at this topic.

Grew up on moa, it's all I know and have no need for anything else. I own many scopes and would not buy one if not available in moa turrets and moa ret.

For the sake of training repetitions toward unconscious competence I'll likely never buy another scope that isn't Mil/Mil FFP, and have slowly replaced all of the MOA glass that lived on rifles I actually use frequently. (As opposed to all of the freeloaders taking up space in my rifle cabinet. You guys know the ones I'm talking about...)

Mil. I have completely converted over 100% to standardize my shooting. No more converting holdover or traversing and so forth. MOA is more precise in clicks in terms of measurement but not by that much. All my dope charts, tables and foundation of shooting is in mil/mil to simplify what I do. Since i actually use my reticle for ranging the formulas are just as simple as any, especially in metric. Yes i use formulas and write out most of my calculations. I learned MOA and mils in the military and I just picked matching mil reticle and turrets out of personal preference, comfort and simplicity. Really it doesn't matter to me either way besides that.

I think the rapid growth in the PRS/Tactical sports have greatly influenced the growth iin MIL based scope sales. Just about everyone uses MIL based scopes but I'm not sure if it's a factor when it comes to winning matches. While I own both types, for long range hunting I prefer MOA. The major reason is the ease and speed that I can "mentally" calculate wind dopes without the need for a calculator or chart. I also find it easier to memorize elevation dopes, and quickly determine antler/animal size at long range without the need for a calculator. I'm sure long term conditioning and familiarity with the imperial measurement system plays a big role in my preference.

Just my two cents, and keeping it light, I hear a lot of people say that they use MOA because it is what they have always known or ever been exposed to, and for those reasons never give Mills an opportunity. I too used to think this way, until I took a little bit of time to educate myself in the benefits of running mils over Moa. With out getting super deep into the math error differences, if you're shooting say 300 yards or less then it's no big issue but if you are a long distance shooter like the majority of us on here the math ears that are quite apparent in MOA shows up, this is where mils shows its usefulness. If you have ever seen the math or a Ballistics app, The .1 on a mill scale is also one click on the turret, example. 2.4 Mills is also 24 clicks, which anyone knows that uses MOA knows MOA and clicks are not a direct connect. I would snap up to the number 2 and then 4 more clicks and I'm done. The only real difference that I had to convert my head to Mills was when I write my cheat sheets for yardages I don't put yardage first I put clicks/Mills first.in example, instead of writing 700 yards, which would be 4.64 mils or 46.4 clicks which there is no such thing as I would write it as 697 yards equaling to 4.6 mils or 46 clicks, so I would quickly snap up to 4 and then 6 more clicks and they're done, dead!..... The point I guess I'm trying to make is when your under stress or under the gun & time is crucial, It's very easy to miss those little numbers on a turret. With mills, you snap to your BIG number, count the extra clicks & done, all you need to know is your yardage witch we already need anyway. ( that, & a whole lot of other stuff too) lol

I clicked MOA, but it wouldn't be a committment. If the right scope, with the right turrets, and the right reticle shows up in Mils and not in MOA, I would take Mils without hesitation. I like both but have spent more time on MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.