Your favorite cartridge based off .30-06?

280 AI, and...
338 Hawk. Casper WY gunmaker Fred Zeglin's creation. Worthy of mention because it hasn't shown up on this list, and of course because I have one. Used it to kill a big UT bison and a bunch of elk.
View attachment 329417
View attachment 329418
View attachment 329419
Like I said, I haven't heard much on the Hawk or Hawk/Scovill line of cartridges (made from the -06) here, but I know they like the Gibbs line are very effecient, have high velocities for their case capacity, and are extremely effective. What are your bullet weights and velocities and your barrel length?

And the 6.5 Sherman trumps the 6.5-280A.I.
🤗
It probably does, but I can make 25-06 and 6.5-280AI from brass picked up off the range. Most of my 25-06 brass is necked down and trimmed 270 win brass, and its free. Most of my -06 brass is range brass, and its free. Also, if I ever get to go to Alaska, and lost my ammunition, I can buy 30-06, 300WinMag, 35 Whelen and such at a store. I can buy -06 in Macedonia, for that matter. Also, when did the Sherman get made from a base 30-06 casing? The 264 magnum also thumps the 6.5-280 AI, but the blog isn't about what beats the -06 wildcats. Its about your favorite wildcat made on the -06 case. I'm a big fan of the .35 Whelen as a wildcat from the -06. It gets between 3600 and 4,000ftlbs from just a necked up case, and with the right bullet, it will do the job out to 600+ yards in the mountains against elk. Big entrance hole, and much bigger exit hole. The 338-06/06 AI, and Hawk are like that, too. I don't need the fastest, latest thing. I just need it to stay supersonic, stable and have a consistent point of impact at distances out to about 1200 yds at the altitudes I'm hunting. I generally hunt elk at 8,000ft or higher, and the altitude means my drop for even an -06 is quite a bit less especially past 600 yards, but there is only 4" of difference between the standard -06 and my 300wm with the same bullet at 300 yards. Since my scope has the drop and range reticles built in for both cartridges, and for the Whelen, if I know the range, I just aim dead on for the range, and hit center mass. The 30-06 works fine for me. The .35 Whelen works better. And I'll bet that 338 Hawk works like a charm. But I wish you luck and hope you sell lots of Shermans.

It probably does, but I can make 25-06 and 6.5-280AI from brass picked up off the range. Most of my 25-06 brass is necked down and trimmed 270 win brass, and its free. Most of my -06 brass is range brass, and its free. Also, if I ever get to go to Alaska, and lost my ammunition, I can buy 30-06, 300WinMag, 35 Whelen and such at a store. I can buy -06 in Macedonia, for that matter. Also, when did the Sherman get made from a base 30-06 casing? The 264 magnum also thumps the 6.5-280 AI, but the blog isn't about what beats the -06 wildcats. Its about your favorite wildcat made on the -06 case. I'm a big fan of the .35 Whelen as a wildcat from the -06. It gets between 3600 and 4,000ftlbs from just a necked up case, and with the right bullet, it will do the job out to 600+ yards in the mountains against elk. Big entrance hole, and much bigger exit hole. The 338-06/06 AI, and Hawk are like that, too. I don't need the fastest, latest thing. I just need it to stay supersonic, stable and have a consistent point of impact at distances out to about 1200 yds at the altitudes I'm hunting. I generally hunt elk at 8,000ft or higher, and the altitude means my drop for even an -06 is quite a bit less especially past 600 yards, but there is only 4" of difference between the standard -06 and my 300wm with the same bullet at 300 yards. Since my scope has the drop and range reticles built in for both cartridges, and for the Whelen, if I know the range, I just aim dead on for the range, and hit center mass. The 30-06 works fine for me. The .35 Whelen works better. And I'll bet that 338 Hawk works like a charm. But I wish you luck and hope you sell lots of Shermans.

The 6.5 Sherman is based off of a .270 win case
Or .280

The shoulders are moved farther forward and they have less case taper than an A.I. round.
The neck length is shorter than the A.I. bit longer than the Gibbs.
.09 x bullet diameter is pretty much the standard for these cartridges. Not sure if the case taper details.
He has reamers available in 25, 6.5, 270, 280, 30, and 338.
RWS and Norma brass are preferred, you can use 30-06 brass butt will loose neck length.
Here is a link to the site, Rich is a member on here. His handle is @elkaholic. He is a very nice guy and as straightforward as they get.

....all of them, without question the single best cartridge casing ever designed...I honestly don't think any other casing will ever even come close...you'd have to search a long long time in many gun safes and cabinets not to find a rifle not chambered in at least one present...

Apparently this Thread is in regards to the now Extinct 30-06 family of Cartridges. Back in the day 30 years ago perhaps the 280 would have been my favorite of off the Shelf boxed ammo. It's duplicated by the 7x64 which is available very frequently. The 280 didn't have today's high tech bullet technology though it provided adequate accuracy for Hunting. But it faded from shelves long ago. On the wildcat side a Straight 6.5-270 would easily fit the bill only today you can't find any pills now and it's a pure wildcat only custom. Today I would be happy if even the regular 270 was in stock. I digress, none of these cartridges are on the shelves any longer where I live. My favorite all around O6 version Wildcat of my own vision is the 6.5 FMD. Great for Targets or Game & uses the 6.5mm Lapua shoulder design.

Attachments

• 6.5x61mm Lapewmo.png
    6.5x61mm Lapewmo.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 31
Apparently this Thread is in regards to the now Extinct 30-06 family of Cartridges. Back in the day 30 years ago perhaps the 280 would have been my favorite of off the Shelf boxed ammo. It's duplicated by the 7x64 which is available very frequently. The 280 didn't have today's high tech bullet technology though it provided adequate accuracy for Hunting. But it faded from shelves long ago. On the wildcat side a Straight 6.5-270 would easily fit the bill only today you can't find any pills now and it's a pure wildcat only custom. Today I would be happy if even the regular 270 was in stock. I digress, none of these cartridges are on the shelves any longer where I live. My favorite all around O6 version Wildcat of my own vision is the 6.5 FMD. Great for Targets or Game & uses the 6.5mm Lapua shoulder design.
They are far from extinct since you can still buy factory ammo for things like 25-06 and .270 win.

One might say they are in many ways "obsolete" but certainly not extinct.

I've built two rifles off the 30-06. A 280AI and a 35 Whelen. While the 280AI shot great I prefer the 35 Whelen for elk and since I only hunt elk anymore I'm selling the 280AI.
I've killed a lot of elk with my 7mm family of guns - .280 Rem, 7mm-08, and 7mm mag. I might add a 7saum someday but not I'm fiddling with a 6.8 Western build. Sold my .270 and .280 as my small safe got crowded. Yes, I've read 35 Whelan Kudos. Cheers to our elk hunts.

They are far from extinct since you can still buy factory ammo for things like 25-06 and .270 win.

One might say they are in many ways "obsolete" but certainly not extinct.
You could say "obsolete" I suppose in a comparison type discussion of fine hair splittery of modern cartridge designs...
I bet if we took a poll of all the gun owners/hunters in the US, one of the 06 family, if not the 06 itself, would easily be the most widely used cartridge and in 90%+ of gun owning households and carried by 90%+ of guys in the woods every year.

By comparison, all of the new supersweet awesom-o's are "extinct" and "obsolete" as they are only a very small % of guns owned and ammo is either hard to find or impossible.