Your favorite cartridge based off .30-06?

megastink

I'm curious what everyone's favorite cartridge is that's based off the .30-06? But more importantly, why is that your favorite? Is it the .280 Rem? 338-06 because you hunt elk? .30-06 because that's what you learned with? Just a friendly discussion that just might influence someone's future build.

Having both an '06 and a 280 Rem, I have been hunting solely with the 280 for 10 years or so now. Have taken deer, elk, and sheep.

Nothing wrong with the good old '06, but the 280 is lighter recoiling, and runs a higher velocity. In the 280 I have hunted with 150 and 140 gr bullets.

Part of it could just be when I got the 280 I was planning to hunt with it and haven't looked back due to how much I liked it. I do still shoot the '06 regularly especially if it is a bad range day. I grew up shooting it and I know it's capabilities, so if something seems off on another rifle, it will tell me if it's me or the rifle.

I have owned several -06 based cartridges over the years
Killed my first elk at 13 with a .270 win
Have had a plethora of 25-06's
Had a .280 for a few seasons(it got swiped)
And I had a 98 Mauser 30-06 back in high school
Just acquired three Savage actions, one is a long action(.270)
It's gonna get turned into a .280 Sherman, it's about 50-75 fps faster than the A.I.

There's NOTHING "Wrong" with, the .30-06 "as is" with, the "correct" 165 to 180 grain, Bullet in, IT !
Everything, on Planet earth has been Killed by,.. IT and Wars have been Won with, it!
The .280 AI is, a very "popular" conversion and it's OK but, I'll be building ME, a 7mm SAUM, instead !
Short, Fat Cases are, where it's AT, Bro for,.. CONSISTENT,. L R,.. accuracy / Power !
The .300 WSM is "King" at, 1,000 Yards for,. a reason

Last edited:
270 Winchester, I like them all but I have a fondness for the 270.
Me too,.. the .270 WSM = MORE of, a "good thing" !
140 Bergers @ 3,200 is, a Lazer that, Kills like,.. "the Hammer of Thor" !
Sorry to, side track but, it's,.. 2022 now !
IF, I was forced to build something off, the old .06 Case it would be,.. the .280 Ackley

Last edited:
I don't own a 6.5-06 nor do I own a 35 Whelen. That being said, a 30-06 will always be my go to hunting rifle. I've taken moose and deer with it, leant one to my brother and he slammed a moose and deer with it last year, chased all over public lands with a carbon barreled 30-06, and just plain love it. Sure others do certain things better, but a boy only gets one first rifle and that moose killing mossberg ATR was mine. The Christiansen looks better but stops animals exactly the same.

Recent Posts