yet another Redding S die question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Cowman, May 22, 2006.

1. Cowman

Cowman Well-Known Member

I just got one for my 300WM and tried out a few last night. My question is how far down the neck do you size with the bushing? I smoked a neck with a candle and I am sizing approximately 3/4 of the way down. Also, I have a full length S die, and I set it to bump the shoulder back .001. How often should the shoulder be bumped back? Thanks Cowman

2. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

How often should the shoulder be bumped back?

Some say every firing , others only as necessary , that is to say , when it becomes a bit stiff to close the bolt on a round .

I neck size only with a collet die ( Lee ) and will ( when it becomes necessary ) bump the shoulder back a thou or as close as I can get to that figure .

On my 300 winnie it may turn out that primer pockets are too loose before the need to bump the shoulder back . 6 or so firings it seems , and not with full tilt boogie loads either , just knocking on the door /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I haven't lubed a case in so long that I know I'm not gonna want to start doing it again . Those collet dies are a real eye opener for someone that has never used them .

Jim B.

3. Cowman

Cowman Well-Known Member

Thanks Jimm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. dlebeck

dlebeck Well-Known Member

Re: yet another Redding S die question / more on collet dies please

Could you go into more detail on the Lee Collet dies. Currently I am using Redding S bushing dies and I am not sure that they are all that they are advertised to be.
    Doug.

Ps also loading for the 300win mag and other cal's