Another Redding S die question

James Jones

Say I want to reload a 30-284 , can I just use the 284 dies and change the neck bushing? Do these dies have an expander ball tyoe setup?

I dont see why not. the dies come with a button expander. I would use the tapered expander(extra) instead of the button type though.

d-a

If you have a bushing die, why have an expander @ all????

You can control neck tension w/the bushing. There is no need to expand it back out.

I have often wondered if I could buy a 300 WSM S die, and use it for all of my 30 cals (as a neck die)

JD, I have a 25 wssm S die that I use for a 6.5 wssm, just dropped in a .296 bushing and it works like a charm. Give Redding a call, I'm sure the can help you out.

I got on redding about this the last time I spoke to them.
I use an expander on new brass to take the dings out of the necks the first time, then I remove the expander and size the necks down with just the bushing and trim/debur.

JD Been away from the computer for a couple of days. Change the bushing and expander and your set. I use 7mm RUM bushing dies to load for 6.5 RUM. That was all I did and it works fine and cheaper than the $185 Redding wanted for the custom dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.