Redding S die question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Varmint Hunter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I have a new set of Redding Type S Match FL bushing dies in .223. I adjusted the die so that it sets the shoulders back on the Lapua cases by .001"-.0015". The top adjustment is set according to specs with the bushing left with just enough leeway to self center on the case mouth.

The die only resizes about 40% of the neck and I would prefer more bullet grip. It seemed odd so I rechecked all the die adjustments and mesurements on my cases and everything is perfect except that I am still only resizing 40% of the neck.

I could lower the die body but that would greatly increase headspace which I do not want to do for obvious reasons.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. alf

alf Well-Known Member

Screw the top down til it touches the bushing, then back it off a hair.

You wanna shake the die and hear the bushing move a touch.

3. Varmint Hunter

That's exactly what I did. The instructions say to back off 1/16 of a turn.. That's about a hair in other words.:D

4. JLM

JLM Member

Hrm, that's interesting. On my .308 die set it sizes almost all the neck with the the bushing have just a skosh free play.

I'd call Redding and ask them. Weird...

5. Coyoter

Coyoter Well-Known Member

6. alf

alf Well-Known Member

There's only one. That's a ring cut in the center of the bushing.

7. Varmint Hunter

For whatever it's worth, I tried turning the bushing over to see if that affected the outcome. Unfortunately, that didn't improve anything.

8. alf

alf Well-Known Member

At this point, I'd call Redding. Most bushings dies will size 3/4ths or so of the neck.

You didn't by chance trim your necks way too much?

9. Varmint Hunter

No - this is once fired (in my rifle) factory Lapua brass. It has not been neck trimmed, reamed or turned.

10. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're bumping the shoulder?

11. Varmint Hunter

Yup - Normally, with a FL die I would expect the shoulders to move forward if there wasn't any die contact at the shoulder. I checked and double checked the case head to datum measurement and found that the die consistently moved the shoulder back .001"-.0015" from the position it was in after firing.

Factory new Lapua brass is shorter yet, but only by a few thousandths if I remember correctly.

I'll give Redding a call on Monday.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  12. killahog

killahog Well-Known Member

What is the dimension of your loaded round across the case neck?.. What bushing do you have? and how thick are your case necks?. 40% should not be a problem unless your loading for an AR type rifle.

13. Varmint Hunter

I don't have the specs at the moment. I am loading for a custom bolt rifle. I seem to get more SD than I should and I believe that if I had more neck tension that it may lead to more uniform combustion with reduced SD.

14. killahog

killahog Well-Known Member

okay I was just thinking that if your neck tension is not tight enough now a tighter bushing might help, as long as you can do it without damaging the jacket.