XP100 in 7mmBR loads and bullets for Deer

Hotrod617

I just purchased a new to me XP100 in 7mmBR. I'm looking to use it deer hunting this year. I'm thinking maybe Hammers? What weight should I be looking at? What powder and load? I have several different Berger's in 7mm. Any help is appreciated.

Bill

I just purchased a new to me XP100 in 7mmBR.

I always enjoy the .22, 6mm, 7mm BR cartridges in the XP-100. Fun to hunt with as well as shooting some longer range targets.

The 7mm BR I hunted with was better with the heavier bullets not the lighter bullets due to the lower BC which is not overcome with velocity. So the remaining energy fell off appreciably. Clearly though this depends on what distances you anticipate shooting your game. 200 - 250 yards will accommodate those lighter, lower BC bullets just fine. Any longer than that and you should consider those heavier bullets, higher BC and slightly slower velocities.

Out of curiosity and because better, heavier bullets are available, I tested loads of the Hornady 166 gr. A-Tips and the Badlands 145 gr. Bulldozer. Better drops and drift with remaining energy out to and including 400 yards. These can be quite a handful without an efficient brake. These were tested off a bipod using a 14" barrel with a brake.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming. So far I've ordered some Hammers at different weights (120-139) and some heavier Berger's. What powders work well with those heavier bullets?

Sierra made a 130 gr bullet specifically for 7mm BR that was a great deer bullet. I harvested many Axis deer with my XP 100 and was always pleased with results out to 250 yards. If you can find them they perform well.

I have taken 2 8-point bucks with my MOA 10 3/4" 7BR pistol. Both dropped in their tracks. I used the old Nosler 140 gr solid base bullets.

I have taken one antelope and two whitetail with myFactory XP in 7BR. The only change was I had a HS Precision Varmint pistol stock installed and bed the action. My friend went to Wyoming with me and we hunted with Ernie on this site. My friend took a nice buck at 235 yds with the XP. My load is with the 120grn Nosler Ballistic Tips and 30 grn of IMR 4895 at 2165 fps. Also I use
H335, 31 grn at 2400 fps.
954BE58E-F9B1-4DEC-8776-2B5E87771D39_1_105_c.jpeg

Recent Posts